• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Worrying about disclosing to people who don't think to ask?

I have wondered why we as people with herpes worry so much about telling people who don't ask? Before I was diagnosed, I thought I was safe enough. Having a steady boyfriend and asking him about STD's and the last time he was tested was not embarrassing to me at all, I just wanted to be safe.

Because we know what it's like to feel this way. Knowledge is power the knowledge I have comes with the power to disclose and give someone a choice. I didn't have a choice and I didn't ask...this is the hand I've been dealt and I'm alright with it. It's frustrating sometimes sure but me personally I could never be with someone without being totally honest with them. Herpes was a big wake up call to me to start being smart...it takes two to tango but someone's gotta take the lead and I choose to be that person. When I found out I felt dirty, cheap, and above all dumb. I am none of those things. I don't want to make someone else feel that way ever so I choose to disclose...it puts me in uncomfortable situations but it also makes me feel like a better person to disclose. I'm being safer now than I ever was and my partners are now being educated and made aware. I can't speak for everyone on this site this is just my opinion but yea...make sense?