• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Get tested for herpes again?

Hi!

I was hoping some people would share their thoughts on my case.

I've been tested on herpes about one year ago when I had a horrible outbreak. The test didn't actually prove that it was herpes but my doctor said something probably went wrong with it and that she couldn't think of it being anything else than herpes. Of course the outbreak was a pain, but for the rest I was ok with it because I had a boyfriend who accepted it completely. But a few weeks ago we broke up and now I'm struggling with the idea of having to tell someone new before getting intimate. Most of all I'm wondering: should I go to the doctor for another test when I have another OB to be certain or can I just accept it as herpes because the symptoms match?

Thanks!

Hey Figuring! :)

Welcome to our community!

You know, you don't have to wait until you get a herpes outbreak before you get a herpes test. If your first herpes outbreak (if it was herpes) was a year ago, that's more than the requisite 3-4 months that it takes to be testable for herpes via blood test that will test for the antibodies in your bloodstream. But if the symptoms match, assume you do have herpes unless the test tells you otherwise. Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Here's an article on herpes tests:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-tests

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thank you for the response and the article. I hadn't read that one yet.

The strangest thing is: At the time my doctor told me that this kind of test was the only option to proof it was herpes. My ex got told the same by his doctor. So I hadn't even thought of looking for other tests. But I will definitely look into getting a bloodtest now, just to be sure!