• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

are there unsafe positions for getting herpes when have sex?

I love that you're peppering us with questions, COS! Shows you really care and want to make sure you're keeping your partner safe. Are you keeping your partner up to date on the risks involved, too?

There aren't any sex positions that are inherently unsafe. Just keep in mind what we've already said about how herpes is passed from skin-to-skin friction and if your partner rubs up against the spot where you normally have outbreaks. Washing the base of the penis after sex won't help protect him from herpes any more than not washing. (But washing the penis is always a good, sanitary idea, gentlemen.) ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Actually Adrial, are there any studies about washing after sex and transmission rates?

I mean, I would *think* that if you didn't wash (at least not right away) the longer you allow the body fluids to stay the better the chance that the virus will find a way in, but if you washed pretty soon after (yeah - I know, a bit of a buzz kill but better than the alternative if you can avoid it) the soap would kill any present viruses ... my understanding is that we may well get exposed to small amounts of the virus in relationships and never get it because the body can deal with "tiny" amounts but if enough get in they get the upper hands and get into the ganglia and you now have the virus?

Or not?

Curious minds want to know ;)

Thank you guys!!! Yes these are my boyfriends questions. ( and mine too) im updating him on it all. We want to knoq everything we can. I love him more than ive ever loved a man nefore so his safety is the most important thing to me in our relationship. Hes hepatitis c positive so herpes on top pf that would be devasting, so were taking it to the super extreme of safety for both of us :)

My understanding of it is that if the virus were to enter the body, it would have done so more through the friction caused by the rubbing of the area of the herpes-positive person's skin against the other person's skin where that is vulnerable to the virus entering (mucous membranes, cuts, lesions, bikini wax, raw tissue from intercourse, etc.) as opposed to the virus sitting on the surface of the skin that washing up after sex would wash away. With all that said, though, it never hurts to go to the bathroom after sex and wash up with some soap (which does kill herpes virus on contact — by the way, herpes virus is veeery weak when it's outside of the body, so even being in open air kills the virus, so we don't have to be spreading soap everywhere to kill it). After all, washing up after sex is good for women to do to prevent UTIs and other types of bacterial stuff, so it's gotta be good for men to do, too, if nothing more than to be feel all nice and clean after sex. :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: