• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question: Should I keep taking my herpes medication?

Ok my first script is done an I had 2 other scripts I filled 1 the other day an started takin it today an gonna continue til the day after Christmas, my pain is gone an I think my rash is gone, (I have been having my husband check me) he said I am still a lil red an a few pumps. I made an appointment w/my Dr., but not til after the new yr (I jus wanna make sur I am healin rite an ok, since this is my first OB). My question is should I keep taking my meds til I c my Dr. or wait?

The medication in my experience has been to help settle down the intensity of the herpes outbreak (especially the first one), so if your outbreak itself has gone away, then there's no need to continue taking medication, except if it's daily suppressive therapy to lessen viral shedding to keep your partner safe from getting herpes.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I only take the meds for OB's and my body does a great job of beating the H virus into submission. Every once in awhile it tries to rear it's ugly little head and I take the Acyclovir for a day or two, apply my Ammonium Alum, and noone ever knows I've had an OB (I have Oral and Genital, so I'm referring to the Oral OB's as far as anyone knowing).

As a Massage Therapist whose studied alot about the body, I would encourage anyone who is not in a relationship to try to get off the meds once you are TOTALLY clear for a few weeks.... as in, not a single tingle... then use the meds for OB's - as soon as you feel the prodrome symptoms, hit it with a few pills HARD (I used to take a double dose - not I just need the regular amount) and use whatever external support you prefer (tea tree, alum, epsom salts baths, etc) Sort of a belt-and-braces approach. Over time your immune system should gain control of the birus.

One other thing that you may want to try - if you know that certain situations trigger you (certain stresses, foods, situations, your period, etc) then take the Valtrex for a day or two before you would normally have symptoms ... then see if your body gets control of it on it's own.

IMO ANY medication should ideally be used to SUPPORT and ASSIST the body... and wherever possible, you try to let the body learn to respond and adapt to the stress and learn to fight it on it's own. This is coming from someone who practices what she preaches, who rarely gets a cold (and then only for 3 days at worst because I take immune support supplements at the first hint of a cold, just like I do with Herpes) and who has her Herpes under control.

Herpes can help you learn to LISTEN to your body - it's one of the Opportunities that Adrial is referring to on this site. Let it teach you about your body...listen to it ... and you will find yourself learning to avoid all kinds of health related issues ;)

Peace