• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Relationship between herpes and HPV

Hello there,

About a decade ago, I had a couple of abnormal pap smears which resolved themselves, and so assumed I had HPV.

Then, just a few months ago, I was diagnosed with genital herpes 1, which I contracted from my partner who -- like most folks -- has oral herpes 1.

Now, about a couple months later, small bumps have appeared on my partner's penis. He went to the doctor, and found out they are genital warts, caused by HPV. He has never had genital warts before.

This strikes me as awfully uncanny timing. I am inclined to think that my new herpes virus has somehow stimulated my old HPV virus, and that this is what has caused him to get warts. My guess is that he was likely already exposed to HPV -- as he is in his 50s -- but that perhaps my HPV viral load is particularly high now due to some interaction with the herpes virus?

I'm wondering if I should get a pap smear. I'm not due for another year, but if indeed my HPV is acting up, it would probably be smart to get checked.

Anyone ever heard of something like this or have any insight?

Thank you!

First - Welcome!

So quick HPV primer:

There are about 100 varieties of HPV - about 30ish of which are genital strains. Of those 30, 2 are expressed as genital warts and about 4-6 can cause cancer/lesions on the cervix. The rest don't seem to do much harm from what I can tell.

According to the CDC pretty much EVERYONE will get some sort of HPV at least once in their lifetime, and like HSV, it can lie dormant for YEARS. Most resolve within 2 years and go dormant again but they are never totally "gone".

Your lesions on your cervix were likely a different strain of the HPV from the genital warts that you BF has. Your "viral load" of your strain wouldn't have affected his breakout. That said, it's probably not a bad idea to get your pap updated this once...just in case.

Peace :)

Yes I agree with WCSDancer..get a pap smear done :-).

I got HPV about 25 years ago and it reappeared..in exactly the same spot, when I had my first Herpes episode 3 years ago. It had lain dormant for all that time! But they disappeared fairly quickly once my body got Herpes under control. So it can happen.

As for your partner, he could have had the virus for years and no symptoms until now.

:-)

nearly 90 percent of the people contract HPV till they 50 ,so you are not alone with that(or your partner ??)

It could be that your immunsystem was down when you had herpes and then HPV came up too or could be that your partner had it before, it quit usually.

At least the European statistic says that the chance of cancer is by 8-10 percent but it deepens on your immunsystem and which type of hpv you are having.

The best is to make a pap test too ,which actually every woman should do every once or twice a year.

When I got my hPv result the doctor only said....Well ´so much people have it no worry.

Try to live healthy and stressless live , which is the most important.

have good day

• 2 weeks later...