• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First herpes outbreak and in pain.

Hi all. I posted previously about wondering if I had oral herpes HSV1 and how I believe I contracted it. Today, marking the third day since coming in contact with the virus, I have noticed various tingling sensations all over my lips both top and bottom. After using my abreva and applying it evenly all over my lips, I felt an uncomfortable burning sensation. I'm also experiencing extreme lip shedding and constant dryness. This is a very uncomfortable situation to be in and I'm especially worried because I have work tomorrow and I've never had a cold sore before. Is it possible to be afflicted with two or more cold sores on one site? Will I look like those people on google whose entire lips are inflamed with cold sores? What are ways that I can hide these sores so that I don't feel sensitive about it? Please help, I'm so scared...

Sounds like you need to use your chapstick (that you previously mentioned you had stopped using.) Slip shedding is a result of the dry cold of winter, not Herpes. The burning after you used Abreva is likely because of the dry lips. Don't keep applying it if you are not getting a real OB. It's likely making the dry lips worse!!!

And PLEASE get off Google Images!!! They are the WORST THING you can do!!!!

And IF you do get a cold sore, you will be just like many, many other people who get them all the time. Really, of all the ways to have herpes, cold sores are the one that is "acceptable" and just another thing (no worse than having a zit - yeah, it sucks, but most people get more freaked when it's them with the zit than all the people around them). If you look like you will get a bad OB, your Dr can give you Valtrex and that should knock it down.

BREATHE my friend, get the hell off Google Images, use that chapstick, and stop overthinking and worrying about this. Overstressing about this is not good for you and there's a good chance you didn't get it.

(((HUGS)))

Everyone is different. But I would suggest to stop freaking out. I know it is hard but it just makes things worse if it is an outbreak. Also, the abreva could be drying your lips out, it sounds like you are applying it a little excessively. Depending on where you are... It could be just dry lips from winter, which can burn even if it's just Chapstick or Carmex on your lips. Do you have a blister or no?

Google is usually worse case scenario. I have type 1, usually causes cold sores on the lips, but I got it genitally. Stupid SOB who gave it to me, not going there. Anyways, mine didn't look like the pictures. It didn't even hurt that bad. Just was gross and has emotionally scarred me in ways I never knew possible. Anyways, don't freak out over google images. I wish I had taken pictures so people would understand. If it is an outbreak, get those little round pads to put over it. I think abreva makes them actually. Cover with makeup. Or... Say who gives a shit. So many people get cold sores on their mouth. No one will judge you. It isn't on your genitals... No one judges those with oral herpes.

Lips tingle when they are drying out too. And the Abreva may be drying it out worse too. I would stop until/if you get a real OB. I would guess that your lips are so used to you using chapstick that they are drying out worse than usual.

Honey - you are overthinking this and freaking yourself out.... yes, it IS possible that you have it but it's also very likely you don't. Try to just use your normal regime for a couple days and see what happens....I'm guessing your lips will feel better....

(((HUGS))) and BREATHE!!!

It honestly sounds like your lips are dry like wcs said. You need to just wait and see if a bump comes. I'm telling you... Even if it is, no one is going to look at you different. Herpes of the mouth does not face a stigma dear. Just try to relax... It's goin to be okay, whether it is or it isn't. Give your lips a break and drink some water. It's winter, most peoples skin gets more dry in the winter. Stay hydrated. It helps keep moisture in your skin. I get dry lips in winter and I promise they tingle and burn... And I don't have it on my mouth. AND! They peel, along the edges. Just calm down until you see. A blister.

Hi Justcurios,

I totally agree with everyone - hsv1 you can deal with - heck by age 60 - 90% of population will have it. My intital ob was quite obvious + 102 fever a small pimple below my lower lip.

You might try following - started using for ob, but liked it so much not going back to my camex - does a better job of keeping lips from chapping. It is only like 6 bucks from Walmart - a lot better than the 15 for abreva - save till you are sure you are having an ob.

Quantum Lip Clear Lysine + Cold Sore Treatment Ointment

Take care - Ra

Ra, thanks for the info. After coming into contact with the virus I got a cold however the symptoms lasted only a day. I have yet to have an OB and its been 5 days since contact with the virus. Ive felt itchiness and tingling on my lip and have been applying abreva about 3-5 times a day but I dont visually see any OB. At this point I'm not sure what's going on.