• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppressive therapy: Antivirals for possible asymptomatic herpes

Hmmm - I have mixed feelings about the "asymptomatic" thing .... the whole point of the supressive drugs is because you don't know when you are shedding....

I would take the antivirals for a year at least - get your body healthy and learn your prodromes.... take the lysine too and then IF you and your partner feel you want to get off the drugs (or cut back) do it once you have a really good sense of your prodromes and triggers.

Hi, Rene/All

I understand how you feel. I want to protect a partner as well. I worry more about transmission and protection than OB. My OB have been very minor; two OB with one blister only each time...thankfully. My doctor has me on Valacyclovir (500 mg. daily). Originally he told me that I didn't need daily meds unless I was feeling an OB and/or if I was in a relationship to protect my partner from transmission. I told him I felt more comfortable taking it daily for both reasons since this is new to me and I'm in my first year of it. My doctor is great. Talk to your doctor and see which med is best for you.

I also take 1000 mg. of L-Lysine daily and just started back on Olive Leaf Extract which is suppose to cut down on shedding and boost immunity along with other things. I'm not ready to go off of meds and do the all natural thing yet. I just feel more comfortable taking something daily that is specifically for the H, for now, along with added things to help. Anyone try coconut oil? I've read some great things about it as far as healing purposes for OB and boosting immunity and it sounds great for lots of other things too.

?? to all...Does the meds really lower your immune system? I was under the impression that the virus did that? Does taking the Val meds and L-Lysine together daily help by reducing shedding even more?

I think I will go on the meds as I have been getting itchy bumps on my iner thigh : ( I suspect I have an outbreak on my inner thigh now. Have had it many times before but I didn't realize. I seem to get it everywhere that's exposed despite a condom!

The meds don't lower your immune system - they just halt the progress of the virus so your body doesn't end up making as much antibodies against it.... so it's *possible* that when you come off you could go through a spell of OB's while your body adjusts... but I personally have been on them twice for extended periods and didn't notice a difference when I came off them...

Meds+Lysine *may* reduce shedding more but there are not studies - it's just a theoretical idea because both fight the virus from different angles so it *might* do more when you use both.

@Rene... Uh - friend ... the condom doesn't cover your thighs ;) THAT is why we keep trying to educate people that condoms only reduce your risk of transmission by 50% at best. Whoever you got it from likely had it on their thighs/crotch area.....