• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I Never Imagined a Life Less Lived

My life could be a made for TV movie with the less..unsavory details censored. I was a 17 year old girl who thought I was in love. Not only did the guy break my heart repeatedly and strung me along for a few years, he also gave me the gift that keeps on giving. HSV-2. Being the young girl I was I suffered quietly thinking it was a UTI or anything other than what it actually was until the agony didn't go away. About 4 years after my horrifying initial outbreak I tested negative. But after repeated episodes, I figured that test had to be a false negative and just this past November I decided I was officially ready to know the truth after what seemed like a 4 month long string of recurring outbreaks. I needed serious relief. Instead of the dated culture, I was given a blood test. After 48 hours I had my official diagnosis of what I had known to be true and a plan to keep my outbreaks at bay. I hoped I would be a lucky person and not get outbreaks often...wrong again! They consistently came every two months at first, the longest I'd gone was 5 months without an outbreak, and ever since joining the dating scene in 2012, there are times I'd see them every month, every two weeks, or back to back. I guess dating really is stressful. :-P Every website says it gets better as time progresses...not so in my case! Top that off with Rheumatoid Arthritis (diagnosed when I was 11) and you have a very uncomfortable situation.

I'm normally so much fun, I'm upbeat, and optimistic. But lately I've been feeling down and I feel like I've just turned into a complaining, bitter, 27 almost 28 year old hag. In all actuality, I love who God made me and this thing I'm dealing with will not keep me down. Now I'm happy to know I have a place to express my frustrations and begin to cultivate a much healthier love for myself. :-)

@TurquoiseSeas

Welcome my friend!

I got the gift at 17 too ... I'm 52 and it's been a long ride but it's got better over time. I've gone through a few spells where the OB's came fast and furious too .. it *should* get better with time.

However, you have an auto-immune disease that you are dealing with - I assume you are on drugs to suppress your immune system? If so, that could be why you are having such a hard time with OB's. Are you on anti-virals to help keep the Herpes under control?

I would talk to your Rhumatologist about the issue between controlling the RA and the Herpes and see if they have any ideas.

Peace and (((HUGS)))

Welcome @Turquise. This is a wonderful site with great people for support and love. It's so nice to come somewhere that everyone knows how your feel and what you are going through. If you have a bad day you can vent and we all still love you! I too am "lucky" enough to have constant OB's just as you do. I finally went on anti- virals last August. I still have OB's but they are not as long or as intense (about 6-7 since then and I can link at least 2 to extreme stress and 1 to too much sugar for my birthday).

I can attest that since coming to this site it has helped me love myself and accept myself more than ever. Keep up the positive thoughts :-)

Thank you all for your responses!!!

To Dancer - because of the cost of treating RA I haven't seen a Rheumatologist since I was 18. :-\ I'm pretty lucky because I only have mild RA right now but I'm not on any form of medication for it. My only prescription drug is Acyclovir. I plan on eventually getting a doc for my RA since I do have insurance (I didn't have insurance for a while). I see we are in the same boat with significant and seventeen! I assume he was the first guy you had ever been with as well?

To Dreaming - Thank you for the reassurance! I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond back but A LOT has gone on in the past week that I'll probably share momentarily, since I do need someone to talk to about it. I'm keeping the positive thoughts up! I'm also trying to share them with others! :-D