• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Is it common for HSV-2 results not to have an exact value (it just says less than 0.91)

After I got the call from former partner "Jane" that she tested positive for HSV-2, I went to my doctor and got tested myself. The results came back negative for HSV-2, and I sent a copy to Jane. She is not convinced that the test was done correctly because instead of an exact value, it just says less than 9.1 (even though the chart just below says "Negative 0.91"). Jane is a friend and I know she is freaking out a little about her results and from whom she contracted HSV-2. Her initial tests were done by the same lab and she has an actual number. And she says that in all the research she has done, she has never heard of a number range in the value field instead of an exact number, even in other negative cases.

She wants me to get the Western Blot test, which would cost me about $200. Is there really reason not trust the lab results I already have and pay for the Western Blot?

@HBpash

Hi there!

So you didn't say how long it has been since you were last intimate - it can take 4=6 months for you to get enough antibodies to give a true result. So yes, you could have a false negative if you get the test too soon.

So odds are *if* you have it, you got it from her..... not the other way around if she had an actual number. I would say you should wait several months then go back.

Do you know which kind of test you had? Elissa/Immunoblot/etc?

According to the lab ranges for LabCorp (varies by labs):

<0.91 = negative

0.91 - 1.09 = borderline

>1.09 = positive

However, as Dancer stated above, if you were recently exposed, you likely do not have sufficient antibodies to be detected. You will want to check again in some months down the road.

Yup - too close to the last encounter to get an accurate result - - you could go now but i you are not sexually active right now you might as well wait another month or two so you can be sure of the result.

The Elissa/Immunoblot refers to different ways to get do the IGG test - there are several labs and several ways of achieving the same test.. the Elisa is the best of the IGG tests... the Gold Standard (as your ex said) is Western Blot but it IS expensive :(

BTW, you do know the HSV1+ result means you have Herpes - if you know you had cold sores in the past, that is where it's residing...which means you need to be careful during Oral Sex. If you never had cold sores you may actually have HSV1 genital and not know it... and it IS possible to get both types...