• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

My turn to rant....

I SWEAR if I hear one more story about doctors who are FUCKING CLUELESS about Herpes, who are INSENSITIVE PRICKS, and who are giving out INCORRECT INFORMATION I'm going to lose my nut.... honest. It blows my mind how many times every single day that we have to educate on here when it *should* be the doctors who are helping people to understand how they got it, about asymptomatic shedding and the friggin CDC's stupid policy to not test, and how there are groups like us who will help them through the first weeks and months post-diagnosis.

Is that too much to ask? Really????? ~X( X( ~X( X( ~X( X( ~X(

*gets off soap box*

Please don't get me started. I don't know how many times a doctor called me OCD...its all in your head....Honestly tonight I just want to sob and sob. Not only is it difficult enough having herpes but to have people call you crazy or give you misinformation is just cruel.

I feel so lonely tonight....starving for human affection.....I haven't had sex since my diagnosis and I am just plain scared.

I went to my doctor yesterday. After months of misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis I have finally resolved my symptoms, which were all caused by BV (confirmed by tests) - great, right? Well, not really because in the meantime, I also discovered my HSV-2+ status and that's a lot more to deal with. My doctor didn't think so - she was like, "this is really terrific because you don't really have herpes". Um...yes I do. I have it in my body and I can give it to someone else, so I can't pretend it's not there.

And she said (she actually SAID), "if you don't have outbreaks, you can't pass it on. You don't even need to take the valtrex anymore."

Um...what?!? I liked this doctor so much because she was the first doctor to actually give me valtrex (she will keep prescribing it if I want - we discussed it). But now I don't even know what to think about these people. Also, my giver was an MD who did not feel it was necessary to disclose to me. Something really does need to be done about this.

I burst into tears in her office and it was really awkward because she thought I should be happy. Oh well.

@whitedaisies, I haven't had sex since my diagnosis either. I am scared and lonely too. I wish I could make you feel better - just know you're not the only one :(

@verysadfornow

I'm in the process of writing a blog about how to handle your (ignorant) doctor ...

This is part of what i will be telling people to do:

I suggest that you print out the handouts on here

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

AND this website from the CDC .... ( I suggest the CDC site because they cannot dispute the writings of the Gov't Health Agency...but they may dispute facts on a site like this because many sites ARE inaccurate)

http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes-detailed.htm ....

With this part highlighted and underlined ...

How do people get genital herpes?

Infections are transmitted through contact with lesions, mucosal surfaces, genital secretions, or oral secretions. HSV-1 and HSV-2 can also be shed from skin that looks normal. In persons with asymptomatic HSV-2 infections, genital HSV shedding occurs on 10% of days, and on most of those days the person has no signs or symptoms. [4] Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission most commonly occurs from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected. [5]

The only way we can make a change is to make sure that they get the information that somehow has slipped through their net.... if every person who has experienced this went to their Dr and handed them this information, I think we could make a HUGE difference in a small amount of time ... if nothing else you will help someone who has just been diagnosed get CORRECT information.

and if the Dr STILL doesnt accept this info?? Time to get another Dr I'm afraid. :(