• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Most people don't care

I was horrified, after my divorce, at the thought of having to open myself up to all types of criticisms and looks of disgust. I become defensive, finding reasons not to trust people. I finally decided to just date, but no relationships past friendly ones and definitely no sex. Then I met a guy a party one night; we seemed to hit it off well, and he was a gentleman. When it became obvious that he wanted it to go further, I invited him over for dinner and to talk. I told him that I was taking Valtrex everyday and had not had an outbreak in almost a year but that I had HSV. He looked at me puzzled; I just knew his next words would be venom. I was surprised when he said, "Is that why you pulled away from me the other night?" I nodded. He said "You're doing what you can to be responsible and it is what it is." Then I was the puzzled one, "What does that mean?" He said it didn't change anything, and he still wanted to be with me. I'm not with him any more, not because of H but because his regular girlfriend was pregnant and he didn't want to tell me he had been cheating on her with me so he just disappeared. But I went on to find others who have not cared about the H so it turns out that it was bigger in my head than anyone else's.

I've found the same reaction. Most just look at me like it's a discussion on the weather. The only one who has had any other reaction was me. Most show concern that I am getting the right nutrition or needing extra rest time, but I've had more offers of intimacy than before. Several have said they are also H positive, and friends have opened up too. It's a big deal only if we make it one.