• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Reality Check - Relinquish the responsibility of the existence of Herpes

Well, a personal message from a friend on this site reminded me of something someone once said to me and I tend to read it over and over to myself whenever I get worried of transmitting the virus to someone else. I think the key is for us as carriers to relinquish the responsibility of the existence of this virus. That does not mean we relinquish the responsibility of protecting our partners or the responsibility that goes along with having a virus that is contagious; but we have to stop feeling responsible that it exists.

So I will post here hoping that it can help someone on this site gain perspective. I have oral and GHSV1 so the quote is in reference to that but it can easily be applied for HSV2.

"There are probably toward 5 billion people on the planet with HSV1. There are at least 80 million new HSV1 infections every year. You'd have to suggest that nearly everyone of them is unintentional and there is nothing more than anyone who infects another person can say but sorry. You aren't responsible for the existence of this human symbiotic virus.

5 billion people cannot go around letting the small possibility of infecting another person dictate their lives.

You are so fortunate. You have had tests and medical advice that only a privileged small proportion of the world's population have access to.

What can we do? What are we expected to do? Whatever the answer to these questions are, you have exceeded them."

Lots of Hugs

This is so perfect... thank you for sharing this.

One addition to this: The VAST majority of people who pass H on either don't know they have it, or have been given incorrect info (Dr's telling them that they can't pass it on without an OB) The fact that WE know and WE take measures to protect our partners means that we are less likely to pass it on. We can stay vigilant and care for our bodies so that the virus has less of a chance of shedding or causing an OB, and that is HUGE.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...