• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

2nd herpes outbreak: how long will it take to heal?

Hi all,

I'm having my second herpes outbreak and while it is much milder - only one sore, no nerve pain - it's taking forever to heal. It looked like it was healing quite quickly the first week but now it seems to have plateaued. I'm coming up on two weeks and it's not getting any worse or better. During my first OB I took Valtrex but have decided not to take it this time around in order to see if it would heal on its own. Has anyone had a similar experience? How long does a recurrence take to heal? Is there a range of time?

Thanks!

Ferndorf

Time frame is different for everyone. Some a couple days, other a few weeks.

U want to make sure u r staying dry down there, go comanado when u can.

take a look at your diet, make sure to keep it healthy especially during this time.

take epsom salt baths if u can!

@WCSDancer2010 has mentioned befor about a product called allum u can put on the sore.

others have mentioned cornstarch.

Its prob lastimg a bit oinger because u dont have enougj antibodies in your system yet to fight the virus off on your own (hence why the first one probably diminnished so fast with the valtrex).

So here is what *I* do, even after 35 yrs ..

At the first sign of an OB, I take a double dose of whatever antiviral I have on hand (it's been Acyclovir for quite awhile now because it's cheaper than valtrex) in the morning or as soon as I notice it, and perhaps one before bed ... then perhaps one or two the next day ... usually by that time my body has it under control and I stop taking the meds. By catching it really early and hitting it hard, you can often help your body get the jump on the virus.

Given that it's only your 2nd OB and you are still building antibodies, it may take you a bit longer so you may need the meds for a few more days. The earlier you catch it the better the meds work. If you hit it from the outside as well (As @whitedaisies said, I use Ammonium Alum but you may have to get it online...it acts as an astringent and dries it out but it may sting like a mofo at first if it's open)

Try the following to help it along

Go Commando as much as possible - getting air to the area can help to dry it out more quickly

Reduce stress as much as possible - Herpes feeds off stress!!! It can become a good barometer for you that your body needs attention in some form or other

Look up Trigger Foods/triggers on here in the FAQ and search bar - lots of topics on them ... the main foods are chocolate and nuts but you want to learn about the Lysine/Argenine balance that can help keep Herpes under control

Epsom Salts baths can do wonders for some. Sit in the bath and dump a few handfuls of the salts right between your legs. Relax and let the salts do their thing then get out and dry off, finishing with a blow drier set on low heat to really get the area dry.

These 4 things seem to do the most help for the most people. Aloe Vera CREAM (make sure ALOE is one of the first ingredients and there isn't a bunch of other crap like petroleum and if it has glycerine, it's AFTER the Aloe in the ingredients .. go to a Health food store for your best chance of getting a good product) or Zinc cream may help during the day to keep it from sticking and help relieve the pain ..

Also: Gold Bond Spray powder - right after exercising/hot showers/etc. Supposedly really cools the area ;)

(((HUGS)))