• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First herpes outbreak...how long does it last?!?

Well, what I thought was a combination of a bad case of the flu and "damage" to my genitals caused by lots of sex with my new partner has turned into herpes. To be honest, I think I'm coping with it OK. I don't blame my partner - she's symptom-less..."blame" is a little pointless at this point anyway. So psychologically things could be a lot worse...I'm being stoical about this, it could be a lot worse...

I suppose what is worrying me is how long this initial outbreak is going to go on for. I've had the flu symptoms / damage to my private parts for around 10 days now. Since going to the clinic on Friday, I've been on the antiviral medication, but 3 days in and it's having zero effect, either on my poor sore penis or on my feeling generally as if I've been beaten up - sweats, stomach cramps, pain in most parts of my body. The thought of this going on for several more weeks or God help me into Christmas fills me with dread...I'm self-employed, I can't afford to take time out, luckily I work from home and it's not physical, but I can't just take 2 days off like I'd want to, for lots of reasons. Added to this is my fear that my immune system is, for want of a better word, "strange" anyway...I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis five years ago, thankfully that turned out to be false, but my auto-immune system is definitely "odd" and I can't see this helping !

I know the first herpes outbreak is the worst, I just wonder what I do when my 5 day course of Aciclovir (1000mg / day) finishes. Do I go to my doctor ? Back to the clinic ? Unless something miraculous happens, I can't see my being "back to normal" in any way within the next 3 days when my tablets run out. What would readers recommend? NB I'm British, so if people from the UK have advice on what's available, that would be great...

NB I haven't had the results of the clinic test back yet, as I only went there on Friday - however I have no doubt at all that I've got HSV-2, given that the nurse at the clinic seemed positive I had it, the sores and the symptoms all add up to one thing. Ho hum - stiff upper lip and all that (about the only stiff thing I've had for days !!).

Aww I feel for you! I'm on my second outbreak atm and as long as it isn't as bad as the first I'll be ok. The first one sucks majorly! I'm from the UK as well, to be honest I didn't find the acyclovir massively helpful as I was still in agony for the best part of 2 weeks- however I'd dread to think what would happen without it! Even with the anti-viral meds it'll still take a while to clear up unfortunately :( One thing I was prescribed was instillagel, which is the local anaesthetic lidocaine- LIFE SAVER. That and co-codamol and lots of rest. However, your positive outlook will help things too. When I found out I contracted it I just cried every day and stayed in my room, but now I just know that it's a bloody annoying skin condition and it's not all that bad. Look up about what foods can trigger it/ prolong suffering (major ones are nuts and chocolate) and avoid them.

Stay strong and hope you're on the road to recovery soon :)

Thanks Parky, nice to know I'm not the only person in the UK with this !

In terms of instillagel - I take it that's to use on your privates ? Luckily the pain there is manageable - it's more the cramps in my stomach / sides that are irritating me. I'm staying positive - f*ck this thing, we'll see who's stronger ! I'm also in middle age, very hopeful that current partner is last one I'll have, so I think by this point in life it's easier to be stoical. Had I have got this 20 years ago, I doubt I would be so laissez-faire.

Lots of rest for the next month isn't going to happen. I wish it could, but it won't; the curse of being self-employed, you can't take time off. I'm OK and handling life well enough, have told a few people close to me - I also refuse to feel any sense of shame about this f*cker.

Thanks for the tips about food. My appetite is shot at the moment (good, I could lose a bit of weight !) but that's not through anything more than just physically feeling like sh*t.

Here's hoping your second outbreak doesn't last too long. I wouldn't say I'm in agony, it's irritating me, I'm still able to function. Final question though - did you go to your GP for more meds to help with future outbreaks ? I take it acylovir isn't over the counter ? I don't mind going - again, age diminishes shame.

General question for all out there - I am as certain as I can be I caught this off my current partner. I had a full STD test back in July, which was clear...but should I inform my last partner (we last had intercourse back in September) ? I wouldn't want anyone else catching this...current partner goes for her test next week, but she has no symptoms like mine - the flu, yes, the sores, no. What do you think ?

I think its different for everyone. My primary outbreak started with a UTI, which was suppose to not be affiliated with herpes...but I believe it somehow cause my virus to flair up. I had a mild temp. throughout the entire week and was miserable.

Now to the second outbreak...lots of itching, redness, and 4 sores...compared to the primary outbreak of 1 sore, UTI, and temp....

I guess the pain was VERY mild for the second outbreak compared to the primary outbreak for sure.

My first outbreak lasted about 10 days and I also had a bacterial infection. Afterwards, I was outbreak free for a little over a week and then I am having my second outbreak right now. It's significantly less painful and I am taking 2000 mg of Lysine and Acyclovir 3 times a day. Get lots of sleep that seemed to help my fatigue and loading up on liquid s makes it a little less painful to pee. I hope you feel better soon!