• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Options for childbirth with herpes?

My partner and I both have hsv2. I do not have any vaginal herpes symptoms. The only symptom I ever get down there is a bad itch near my anus which is why I think that's where my breakouts occur even though I have not seen any lesion just that persistent itch. However, I got the herpes diagnosis through a vaginal swab culture so the doctor told me I may get breakouts inside of my vagina.

I am planning on getting pregnant in the next year or so and I have a question about giving birth. What are my options when it comes to delivering? I know if I'm having an active breakout a vaginal delivery wouldn't be so safe but what about if it's not active? My daughter was born 4 years ago via induced vaginal delivery and no complications. I am really hoping to have another vaginal delivery bc I really do not want a c section.

@Prettyinpinkrn

I have had both - the first ( a c-section) was because the Dr scared me into it (this was 28 yrs ago pre-internet). I managed to find out I didn't *have* to have that, and when I got pregnant with my 2nd child a few years later, I switched Drs and he went against all the "conventional" thinking (ie: no natural birth after a Cesarean) and I had her naturally.

Nowadays most Dr's protocol is to put you on Valtrex for the last month of pregnancy to reduce the chance of OB's ... and they will monitor you closely for lesions.

You should talk to your OBGYN NOW about what their protocol is so that if they *only* do Cesareans, you can find a new Dr who will give you the natural birth option. ;)

• 1 month later...