• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

80% of people dont know they have herpes?

I have a querry with the numbers in the disclosure brochure. Its very useful, and ill probably use it with my next future partner that I disclose to, to assist the situation but, after reading it, this question popped up....

If 80% of the 16.2% population of the usa dont know they have herpes, how can the 16.2% figure be known/ realistic. What is this figure based on?

Am I missing something obvious here?

The NHANES studies took blood samples from thousands of people who also completed a questionnaire. They asked questions like "have you ever been diagnosed with genital herpes?" "Have you ever had symptoms of genital herpes?" and the like. They found that 16.2% of the general population tested positive for HSV 2, but by checking this data against the accompanying questionnaire, 80% were unaware of it. The study was actually broken down by demographics, you can find it online. If memory serves me correctly, infection rates were highest in older black women (~50%), and lowest in younger white men (~5%). Pretty interesting.

• 6 months later...

@2Legit2Quit

True... odds are the number would be a LOT higher ....

I think the reason the researchers have not repeated the test with HSV1 genital is that *current* thinking is that HSV1 genitally *rarely if ever* transmits to others because so many already have it orally and it sheds so much less. Besides, it's easier for them to keep their heads in the sand and pretend that it's not *that* bad... :(

I get that, but it still happens and still, it would help get rid of the stigma the more accounted for in numbers on their genitals. Then it would be treated like how they treat oral herpes if that makes sense...it should be included period, end of story. To not do so, further perpetuates that HSV 2 as worse than HSV 1... See where I'm going w this?