• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

One sore

How can you tell the difference between a sore caused by H and a sore caused by, for example, chafing?

I have a single sore that did not start as a blister to my knowledge and is in a spot where I didn't have one with my first OB. No prodromes, just mild itching. Doesn't hurt when I pee, but it's on the side of my labia minora, so I don't know if it's just up high enough to avoid any contact. Anyway, I had been scratching/rubbing a little because I had/have a yeast and BV infection. The itching is much better after taking antibiotics. So basically, I don't know if the sore was caused by my scratching/rubbing or if I coincidentally had a mild OB at the same time. It still has not healed (about a week), so I may take antivirals to speed it up just in case. I just don't want to take them if I don't have to because it doesn't bother me, but I of course want the sore to heal asap no matter the cause.

I'm a no-drug person but I have found that if I am not sure if I'm having an OB, I wait a day or so to see if it clears on it's own (I'm single, so no hurry to clear it). If it doesn't clear up, I take a double dose of the meds and I rarely have to take more than 2 doses and it's gone ... once your body has control of the virus, the meds can be very useful and you don't have to take a lot. A bottle of 30 pills can last me at least a year if not two or more nowadays ;)

Along with that I attack it on the outside with either Alum or Bactine (just trying bactine recently... still seeing how it goes) and keep it well aired and dry

If it were me, I'd dab a bit of abreva on it. :) I personally don't take my antivirals unless my outbreak is bad (more than 2-3 sores) as I react negatively to them. (exhaustion and hair loss yay) I also find that taking a warm sitz bath with saline water (salt water) helps. If you're concerned that it may be yeast or BV - treat with anti-fungals, monistat or canesten.

Feel better soon! <3

I had the exact same situation. I saw a sore develop close by my vaginal opening and I figured maybe the skin tore as a result of friction, but it dawned on me I've never had sores down there ever in my life, so that was a red flag. I tried using witch hazel thinking it would help and it just made things worse. There really wasn't much I could use to help with the sore it just wouldn't heal as fast as I wanted and it wasn't until I started antivirals that the sore finally healed. Thats when I knew it was due to H.