• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Having a breakdown

Hello all,

This morning I woke up and everything was fine. Slight OB genitally but that was all and I was getting my medication for it during my lunch break at work. Fast forward 2 hours and I go to raise my hand to my mouth and it hurt. When I looked there was a small liquid filled bump on my Cupid's bow, then my lips have been tingling all morning. I'm pretty sure I'm going through my first oral outbreak. Now the whole realization thing has been hard. I just found out last week that I had H. And I was determined to not make it define me. But as the days go on I feel myself crumbling. My heart and mind hurt, I'm scared and I just don't know what to do. Genitally I thought okay it's something that's hidden. But on my face, I work in an office and interact with people everyday. I'm just so close to completely shutting down and I'm scared for myself.

First, calm down and just breathe. It sucks when we have to actually deal with real symptoms. It's like "dangit! I have herpes! sh**" BUT it really isn't so bad. We all have uncomfortable situations to overcome. Remember how common Oral herpes is. It is EXTREMELY COMMON (80% of the population common). No one is going to judge you for it. A majority of people who get cold sores have no clue that it is the same virus as herpes. I am surrounded by people who get cold sores. Literally. I have two jobs...3 of my bosses I know for sure have OHSV! My dance teacher had like 3 right on the middle part of his upper lip. I noticed it (just like I notice a pimple or a scar) and literally moved right along in my thoughts. I didn't think anything about it. This was prediagnosis. I still thought he was super hot and it didn't bother me in the least. So I know it seems impossible but try to not overthink it. It is all in the power of the mind.

Also, it is normal to go through a roller coaster of emotions. It is very fresh and new for us. We are still coping. So keep your head up and be the amazing self you are :) The rough patch will pass and you will feel like yourself again. We all have ups and downs. So try to comfort yourself with things you enjoy. I for one, don't mind a good distraction. ;-) I am here if you want to talk k?

Also, it is normal to go through a roller coaster of emotions. It is very fresh and new for us. We are still coping. So keep your head up and be the amazing self you are :) The rough patch will pass and you will feel like yourself again. We all have ups and downs. So try to comfort yourself with things you enjoy. I for one, don't mind a good distraction. ;-) I am here if you want to talk k?

You are like seriously the sweetest person Anna I hope you know that

Hi there!

It's been less than a week from my diagnosis. I know the feeling. I feel dirty and ashamed. The bad things is I've had to go back to work this week and I find myself on the verge of tears. I haven't talked to anyone besides a therapist. Sorry I didn't make you feel better, but just know there's someone in Jersey feeling the same way... :(

@kbutterfly Don't feel dirty and ashamed. You did what the vast majority does...had sex. This is extremely common and you are FAR from alone ok :) Don't let it define you are make you feel any less than you are. It is a skin rash, plain and simple. I am here if you want to talk ok?

@kbutterfly you are definitely not alone. I was like that all the way up until I got my test results. At times it's a little tough but I have the support of my family and friends. And even the support from the people on here! You're from Jersey too which means we're tough as hell! Feel free to message me and we can be buddies :)

You know, oral hsv carries almost no weight. There are three people in my office with a cold sore right now, including the boss. One of them was even complaining about it and saying she's being careful not to touch her eyes, and that once she had it so bad it stuck her lips together. I actually gave her a valacyclovir tablet, I don't think she caught on though. Anyway, it's so common and has very little physical effect. Don't worry about it, the visible aspect might even persuade someone you know to open up about it. You're new to the H news, so I know it's a difficult time, but don't go crumbling on us - these thoughts work in negative cycles, and can quickly get out of hand. Don't let them build any momentum.

@ThatJerseyGirl

Ok honey... BREATHE!

Reality check.

80% of the population has oral HSV1.

60% of young people have oral HSV1 by the time they are young adults (I got it at age 4 and had HUGE OB's on my chin all through childhood ... over time they've reduced to almost nothing and I can usually knock them down before they really come out anyway)

So do you know if you have HSV1 genitally or HSV2?

You can always go to PP and get them to do a culture. Stand up to them if they refuse... this is your body and your emotional welfare. If it will help you to know for sure, then insist on the swab. :)

(((HUGS)))

@ThatJerseyGirl

Ok honey... BREATHE!

Reality check.

80% of the population has oral HSV1.

60% of young people have oral HSV1 by the time they are young adults (I got it at age 4 and had HUGE OB's on my chin all through childhood ... over time they've reduced to almost nothing and I can usually knock them down before they really come out anyway)

So do you know if you have HSV1 genitally or HSV2?

You can always go to PP and get them to do a culture. Stand up to them if they refuse... this is your body and your emotional welfare. If it will help you to know for sure, then insist on the swab. :)

(((HUGS)))

I actually don't know yet. When I found out I tested positive I asked my doctor for a blood test and he said "well people nowadays usually have both so no need to test you." And I was still in such shock I didn't feel like standing up for myself. I'm planning to go to a new doctor in a few weeks however to get tested to see which one I have