• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just diagnosed, not really understanding asymptomatic shedding

Hi guys. I'm new here. I was positively diagnosed with HSV2 a few days ago after a week or so of worrying. I've been combing this forum almost everyday and although I understand the majority of it, I'm still not grasping the concept of asymptomatic shedding and transmission rates. I understand that asymptomatic means there's no visual outbreak but the virus is still active but how does this tie into transmission rates. As in am I still as contagious as I would be if I had an outbreak, outbreak? Is the 4% transmission rate with "abstaining from sex with an active outbreak" (I'm a woman btw) tied into this? What about with a condom. My first outbreak was centered on my labia minora so the condom will undoubedtly be covering his shaft as to not come into contact with it. Also I am on daily suppressive medicine. Gives me a peace of mind. I know that cuts transmission rates in half but again, how does that tie into asymptomatic shedding?

I'm sorry if my question doesn't make sense. i'm trying to ask the best way I can so I can relay this information on to need to know parties. Basically I'm asking how does asymptomatic shedding work? I need all the facts because I'll be damned if I pass this on to someone and have them feel the way I felt these past few weeks.

@WorkingOnIt

Hello and Welcome!

Well, simple way to look at it is an outbreak (OB) is basically shedding on steroids. So it's recommended that even with condoms you shouldn't have sex during a known OB... your risk of passing it on goes up exponentially if you have sex during an OB. But the "Opportunity" around this is the excuse to find other ways to be intimate 🙂

Transmission rate stats are considered to be when not having sex during a known OB....

The 50% reduction rate with condoms results basically because they don't cover everything .... many have their OB's outside the area covered ... but you could still theoretically pass it on with the condom as you can technically be shedding anywhere in the boxer shorts region. That said, the further from the original OB's, the lower the shedding *should* be. Condom use statistically cuts the transmission rate in half. So that would take F-M rates to 2%. As you are on antivirals that takes it down statistically another 50% to 1%. Basically you statistically have a better chance of being in a car accident than passing it on.

Think of shedding this way. It normally takes millions of sperm to have enough to ensure 1 manages to make it to the egg to fertilize it, but there will always be that one time that someone gets pregnant even tho the Dr says the man has few viable sperm. It's one of those "all the stars aligned" things. Same with Herpes. The higher the number of virus that the person comes in contact with, the higher their risk. So OB's are the "super fertile" moments. And sometimes, no matter what we do, we *could* pass it on. But in all honesty, if they are out there dating, given 80% of people have it orally, most people are being exposed to it one way or another when they are dating ... and even when in committed relationships. The "good" think about us knowing is we know to be vigilant and to take precautions.

General asymptomatic shedding varies a lot in frequency and intensity from one person to another and sadly there is no way to tell who sheds when and how much. So all we can do is do our best to support our bodies to be as healthy as possible (Herpes is what I call a "First Responder" - it will often tell you when you need to slow down/take care of yourself). If you know that you have a certain trigger (say, your period) you may want to double up on the anti-virals for 2 days before your expected trigger, or as soon as it occurs.

Hope that helps a bit ... feel free to ask if you need clarification ... but do check out the FAQs and the handouts ...they are great resources for info.

FAQs:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1758/frequently-asked-questions-on-herpes-and-popular-conversations/p1

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

http://projectaccept.org/who-gets-hsv/

Herpes facts video

So I should just say that I'm virtually shedding all of the time because I don't know when I am but the medicine will cut it in half? Because as of right now, the blisters are healed (I only had three) but the skin is still red and irritated. I'm not sure if I'm still having an "outbreak" per say or if it's just prodrone which can also indicate the virus is active. I may just be overthinking too much as well so I'm not too sure what's happening here.

No you don't shed all the time. There have been studies where people have heavy shedding that has lasted days and most often, it's off and on... Usually a few hrs to a couple days at a time.. I understand you're looking for a definitive answer, but there isn't one. There is no telling. I think supposedly we shed anywhere between 76-100 something days of the year, but that doesn't mean for the full 24hrs...

So long as any signs or symptoms show, you should consider yourself active/shedding. Redness and irritation from the ob,, u wouldn't risk sexual activity w a non H person if that's what you're asking.