• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valtrex meds...does it help?

I've been on Valtrex for about 6 days and the muscle pain and prickly feeling has not ceased. Does anyone know what else I can do? I also have pressure in my uterus area. I'm not any serious pain but it's quite annoying! I'm so tired of feeling like this. I bought some lysine and plan to start that when it comes in the mail.

Never used Valtrex, but did use Acyclovir many years ago and it worked great. Famvir is another antiviral on the market. If Valtrex doesn't start working soon you may want to talk to your doctor about that option.

Are you still in your first six months of having herpes? Some folks have a real difficult time physically during that period. It will get better though. The lysine is definitely worth a shot. I hope you have good luck with it.

Good luck to you. Things will turn out fine.

I coming up on 29 years with herpes. I've not taken anything for it in 20 years. My wife also has it so there is really no need for antivirals. I don't get very many outbreaks anymore. In time you will find that it settles down.

Glad you found this site. Lots of great info. Lots of great support. Check out @WCSDancer2010's blog http://supporttruthanddialog.com . She has alot of great tips on there about how to deal with the outbreaks.

Thank you so much @ihaveittoo did your wife have it when you all met? I'm quite emotionally disturbed about it all and even more devestated I'll have to have the conversation with someone I really like. I almost want to just go back to my ex because it's easier :(. Thank you for responding to me. It really helps! I can't wait for this to settle down.

Yes, she had it before we met. We met in a herpes chat room on AOL 19 years ago. We found out we lived in the same state and everything followed from there.

The beginning of your journey with herpes is the worst part. I know it was for me. The best thing you have done so far is come to this site and reach out. I didn't reach out for nearly 10 years after I got it, that was the wrong thing to do. The sooner you confront it the better you will be. Read the success stories. You will learn that herpes is really just a nuisance. The stigma is really overblown. Read Using Herpes as your Wingman in the support truth and dialog blog. I believe that to be the single most important article there. It's a perspective I think everyone should have going forward with herpes.

Have you ever had to have the conversation? I'm glad I've joined this group too! I'm praying the disclosure {whenever it is} goes well. Thank you for all of your input. It means so much! Yeah I hear it gets better. I'm praying it does sooner than later. I'm 27 and I'm dating someone in their early 20's... I'm so afraid he's gonna run. But I guess it's not up to me. I'll check out the disclosure success stories. Again thank you so very much!

I am on acyclovir too - using it for about 6 months now. But I didn't start taking it until about two weeks into my first outbreak, so I'm not sure how much of an effect it had on that first outbreak. I did find taking about 600 mg of Advil (ibuprofen) a day helped with the aching and nerve tingling, especially at night. I also used some tea tree oil on the lesion, which helped it heal. Lemon balm helps there, too. You can find them in places like Whole Foods stores or Natural Grocers, I think. They are essential oils. I tried lysine as well, but I think it had a weird effect on my bowels - I had constipation for about a week while I was taking it and discolored "output" when it eased up. Not sure I'd take lysine again. Nightly warm baths with epsom salts also helped a great deal - but it might have just been the relaxation. Hey, if it helps, it helps! Take heart, it will pass. You'll feel a little better every day.

I have used Vaktrex, once when I was formally diagnosed in August, and I have not needed to take it again....but we also think I've had it 30 years, so like above members have said, it seems to settle down over time...but I have to say after doing much reading, it's not a consistent virus, and responds differently to people

It takes two weeks for valtex to build up to full strength in your system. You're unfortunately just going to have to be patient. I had constant paresthesia for like almost a yr. I'm a yr b half in and I can't even sit on hard chairs for long periods, w out my tailbone bothering me. Just be patient

@2legit2Quit I'm sorry. I don't believe it is. The burning started back in November. I had my first set of bumps in December. I finally went & got tested this month and found out. I believe my first OB was in December. She gave me 10 day supply to stop the burning that constantly kept happening.

Yeah. For something like this, you're likely going to need to be on daily meds for a bit. My nerves got jacked up from H as well like sevre neuropathy. I am a yr n half out and don't have those issues anymore and don't have to take nerve pain meds anymore, but my nerves have never been the same. Sitting in a hard surface for a long period, is uncomfortable for my tailbone... It used to be my tailbone, buttock and back of thighs, but those two got better. I take daily meds and still am not back to normal. I suggest you recommend daily suppressive for a bit, until you get your stuff under control. The nerve issues can take longer to correct themelves, than getting the actual obs under control.

@breathe123...yes I am married...I went decades and didn't know I had hsv2....so my symptoms were very subtle...after my ob in August, I have not had problems and haven't needed any more meds...but I do try often to eat healthy and organic, I bathe nightly with a few drops of tea tree oil....not sure if all this is helping keep it at bay but I figured it can't hurt.

@breath123 my ex husband gave me Hsv2--divorced him and started dating and was so afraid no one would want me, then a woman who also had H and was in a long term relationship told me that this would separate the men from the boys. And it did, the ones who took off after the conversation were not people I would have wanted to stay with (you know what they say about hindsight!) Then I met a wonderful man, who saw me and not this little infection I have that happens to be on my genitals. I have taken Valtrex every day since diagnosed (15 years) mainly to as a preventative for my husband (not 100% but it helps) We've been together 8 years and he is still H free.

@missyD wow!!! That's beautiful! I'm happy to hear you're happy and your marriage is thriving! I've been on the Valtrex for 9 days now and I still have muscle pain in my legs, and in my lower back, pressure in my uterus and slight burning in my groin. Any advice. I'm about 10 days in from testing positive. However, I think I've had this for a while.

@breathe123 unfortunatly I have not been brave enough to fully disclose...I have not been a faithful wife....I have described it, but not said it....if I see him have another ob at that point I will have to insist on treatment and testing to confirm...the doctor diagnosed his ob on visual and did not say hsv. I think back now and think it was.

@Bambina3, oh no! I will pray you have the strength you need to disclose to your husband and that he takes it well. It's probably easier to have this conversation sooner than later, but who am I telling (I can't do it! lol). Good luck! let me know how it goes whenever you decide. Only you know what's best and what you're ready for :).

It's been 6 months, not any easier, thank you for the prayers, I will pray for you as well.

I can describe it, (to him) say hsv2, (not to him)that's as far as I've gotten

Good luck, please keep me posted also ;)

I'm sorry to hear you are in pain, I hope you try some of the methods the ladies onsite have suggested to help relieve that. Here's one I hope it is helpful to you, I lean towards the natural approach

http://justherpes.com/herpesremedies/natural-herpes-remedies-list-home-cures/