• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Prodrome symptoms?

I'm not sure what exactly prodrome symptoms are. I don't know if I've ever experienced them in my 30 years. Seems like my ob's just appear out of nowhere. I'm on anti viral now for a month. Is prodrome pain or tingling or both? How long does it last? As I have mentioned elsewhere here, I started taking vagifem (the same day I started taking anti viral) for menopause dryness and the side effects are inner and outer vaginal itching ugh! Just what I didn't need lol. Trying to distinguish between the two

Hey Katidid,

Some people don't have prodrome or it's so subtle that it's hard to pinpoint that it's herpes related. And yes, tingling and pain can certainly be prodrome. Sometimes just some simple itching could be prodrome-related, but don't let this get you paranoid that every single itch or weird sensation in your lower bits means it's herpes! ;) Just something to notice about your body if you do see any connection between sensations and when you do get outbreaks. And yours could be so subtle that you won't be able to tell.

Here's an article with more specifics:

https://herpeslife.com/herpes-prodrome-symptoms/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

My pleasure! Ba-boom! :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Yep, you can have an outbreak without prodromes. Some people can't pick up on the signs that an outbreak is coming either because the signs are subtle in their body or prodrome gets confused with something else. If you have already had outbreaks, then paying attention to any sensations on or around that outbreak zone is a good way to pay attention to the heads up that prodrome tends to give. My outbreaks happen toward the head of my penis, so whenever I get an itch around that zone or a little burning sensation, I assume the virus is getting more active, so I lay off sex or fooling around with my girlfriend for a day or so regardless of whether it manifests into an actual outbreak or not.

Helpful resources:

@hippyherpy do you do anti viral? How long have you had this? I'm just curious. Have you ever passed it on that you know of? Do you always use condoms? Hope you don't mind me asking. I know we are all pretty free spirited on here. I have not passed it on in over 20 yrs......we do use condoms every time though

Yeah, I take daily suppressive therapy with Acyclovir to keep my girlfriend safe. We don't use condoms. And I haven't had an outbreak in quite a long time.

Helpful resources:

Adrial, is there a reason why you take Acyclovir instead of Valtrex?

I'm on Valtrex and have had girls that use condoms and girls that have done it with out. When I first meet someone, I'm much more likely to use condoms because if you tell someone you have herpes and they don't care even about using condoms, well that gets me thinking "they might have something" they don't know about.

After getting herpes, I'm much more aware of STDs in general, and I know that condoms are going help prevent stuff in general, so I'm trying to be careful with girls I've just met. Especially considering that HIV is 3x easier to catch when it comes into contact with a herped dick.

As far as I know, I haven't passed it on.

I get more anxiety over not using condoms now than the other person would knowing that I've got herpes hahaha

I was with a girl who told me she HPV last year, the type 1 that can cause cervix cancer, but she said she cleared it.

The post sex texts were funny, because we both disclosed and she was asking me if I had any recent breakouts and I was trying to ask her about HPV. I don't want to have to disclose both herpes and HPV.

Very interesting about meeting someone new and being a bit leary when they don't want to use a condom. That makes perfect sense to me. I guess there really is some accuracy to being less transmittable the longer you've had this. I read an article the other day somewhere that stated you never see an elderly person in a nursing home with herpes. I don't know how true that is. Do you worry about body parts touching.....or just go with it?