• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes and HIV

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking it would depend on the vaccines mode of action. If it reduced the virus enough that transmission wasn't possible, the immune system would still send T cells to the area to fight what virus particles remain and the risk for HIV would still be there. If they could completely eliminate the virus, I guess that it would also reduce the risk.

Any STD increases your risk for other STDs though. Get chlamydia- get the shot- and you are still at a higher risk than someone who has not gotten anything.

Let's say you've had herpes for a few years. One big outbreak at the onset and then nothing. Are those T cells going to still be at the location of the outbreak regardless if they make a vaccine that suppresses the virus. If you take Valtrex and don't get outbreaks anymore you are still three times more likely to get t.

Right but does shedding leave those T-cells hanging out that HIV likes so much?

I thought those T-cells only happen at the area of an outbreak. Otherwise.. are you saying that a girl with HIV could drip period blood somewhere on my crotch where I didn't have a breakout, and I'd still be three times more likely to get it from her?

I'm not sure of the immune response during shedding. I'm curious now, I just might look that up.

Dripping blood on an intact, non mucous membrane, should not transmit the virus. (Like your thigh for instance). Having period sex would be a huge no.. vaginal fluids+ blood+penis=OMFG.

I love that you are constantly trying to figure this out, but dang buddy, I hope you keep it on the boards and don't go out and use yourself as a guinea pig. Leave the bloody ones alone :)

I think the thing to do is to avoid the high risk populations in general even if you don't have HSV..

the thing is.. so many have people have hsv1 and do rial Sec. that you think they would be getting a lot HIV that way considering that HSV leaves the throes t-cells at the site of breakout

Something doesn't make sense with all this.