• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How is herpes taken socially in Brazil?

One of the nurses at the clinic we hold our monthly support meetings at Planned Parenthood was Brazilian. In the midst of one of our meetings, she raised her hand to share. She was flabbergasted about there being so much shame associated with herpes. She said in Brazil it was so common to be at a bar and overhear someone casually flirting and tack on "... but I'm having a herpes outbreak now, so no sex tonight." Every American in that support group was stunned. Why isn't our culture like that? We shame sex and sexuality. We still live in quite a puritanical society, even with all the seeming freedoms. That's the next frontier of acceptance, and we're on the front lines. :)

So the short answer from what I've heard is that Brazil is veeeery different about sex than here. Way more open. Way more educated. And that's not to say that you might encounter some shamey stuff over there, too, but it seems it'll be much less than in the good ol' US of A.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I speak from experience when I confirm that they are way more open sexually here. it starts from the fact that this is a "kissing culture" (when you meet a friend of the opposite sex or even stranger you kiss them on the cheek/s). with it being the case that their personal bubble even for strangers is literally up to a few inches from their mouths, just imagine how much easier/quicker the timeline it would be to make out with someone who you like.

that said, the quickness and willingness to make out with someone here isnt indicative of the quickness/willingness that they will go home with you. This is a mistake made when Americans stereotype Brazilian women as being "easy." What they dont realize is just how casual kissing is here and thus that it doesnt reflect necessarily sexual timelines.

Think of a ruler. if the left side of the ruler is the time you first meet someone, and the right side is the time where you have sex, brazilians will often make out with someone around the 1-3 range. Kissing isnt indicative of sex. whereas Americans, who have inherited a core of social values which are puritan in nature (Americans even banned coffee once because they were afraid of sinning by being addicted to it!), have to blue ball it up to around 10-11 range before kissing. Once that happens the floodgates are open for sex. It interesting the mindset american woman have. they will dance on a complete stranger much more sexually than typical brazileiras, yet when you try to kiss them they almost get offended like "hey, i'm not a slut!".

The differences in religious background is somewhat interesting i think as Brazil has been far more historically influenced by catholicism than by protestant, let alone puritan, streams.

That said, usually after 1 or 2 times kissing, girls would be willing to hook up here, though this of course depends on the girl.

Anyway, @adrial, i hope what your brazilian nurse friend said is true. I hope to find out soon.

I disclosed to a form bootyed Brazilian girl a few months back and she didn't bat an eyelash about it and we made sweet love. It's true what they say about Brazilian women. Very feminine too. If that's an indicator, then you probably have smooth sailing.

Best thing to do is just disclose and report back here and let us know how it was.

That Brazilian girl had a good attitude. I told a Chilean girl, and she was a little freaked out but then we had sex and she was fine do not all Latin cultures are going to be same about this.