• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Unsure if I should even disclose... I'm not a bad person though. (Vent/Advice)

Hey all,

So I'm a 21 year old male who had a first outbreak several months ago. Very mild, and healed up in a matter of days. My girlfriend gave it to me, but she did disclose and I took the risk. However, we will be going our separate ways in a year or so (transferring out of community college to a four year university,) and I worry day after day about my situation. Granted, I haven't had what I would consider an outbreak since the first one, but after we have sex sometimes I see very small red inflamed areas that go away after a day or so. I don't even know if these are considered "lessions" because they are hardly noticeable and go away so fast - but sometimes it does look like something more than a friction burn.

Anyways,

The thing is, I've been tested twice for herpes (1 & 2) and both results came back negative. The second time was a few days after my first outbreak, and after it was pretty much healed up completely. The first time was a few weeks prior just out of curiosity. Both negative.

When I transfer I am interested in a casual sex life. I find myself enjoying the company of multiple women. This is where I'm torn. I know I'm not the guy to get outbreaks, and I'm confident if I did get tested again my results would come back negative. I talked to one of my guy friends about it and he said,

"Dude, you're going to be a 22 year old guy in college. Your d*ck doesn't have anything on it and your STD tests (including herpes) come back negative every time. Why the #@^$ would you go around telling girls you have herpes."

And he's right. Logically, this seems the argument I would side with. But I know what I caught and what I have, regardless of how symptoms and tests add up (and yes, I'm fully aware of false negatives.) And though I would wear condoms, (I probably wouldn't EVERYTIME if I was close with the girl,) I worry greatly about passing it onto them.

So, I'm wondering whether I should just get tested before transferring and go with the negative results, or if I shouldn't get tested and let my doc know I'm having an outbreak so he could prescribe me valtrex to reduce my risk of potentially spreading. I feel like my doc would raise his eyebrows higher than the empire state building if I asked for valtrex after my third negative test.

Anyone have any advice or a similar situation they've experienced that they can share with me? I need some peace of mind and someone to listen to who is in a similar boat.

Thanks...

You took a blood test prior to the outbreak and then one a few days after? Then it was too early for a positive to show up in blood work. If it's been a few months (I'd say 3+) since you've had what you're thinking is an outbreak, then I'd go ahead and retest. If you have another negative results, then I would side with your friend.

If disclosure is what's bothering you, you could always tell people you've been exposed but haven't had a positive result yet. And yes, wear condoms-for your protection as much as theirs.

Just retest....it does sound like you might of tested too soon after exposure. Why admit to having something that hasn't been confirmed? I do know someone that had 2 negative swabs and finally the bloodwork came back positive....so it might be h, just be smart and retest.