• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes outbreak cycle

Hey people. Twenty-four year old male here. I have been reading this forum for a few months now and have found some healing words and ideas spread throughout. Now for my first post. I was diagnosed by visual examination in October of last year to have hsv-2. Just last week I went to get an igg test and am awaiting the results. My primary outbreak occurred in May of last year, although it took two more outbreaks for my doctor to identify it as stemming from a herpes infection. So, primary in May, following outbreak (worse than the primary) in September, one more immediately following it (which led to a diagnosis and valtrex prescription). Then two months later another outbreak in December and like clockwork, another in February. All of these outbreaks lasted two to three weeks.

Since the end of the February outbreak, around the middle of March, I have had a series of what I will call mini-outbreaks. In different places each time, but all in the same general zone, I will experience minute prodrome tingles once or twice each day before a mini-outbreak. Then a lesion will form, erupt and heal within one to two or three days at the most.

Valtrex does not seem to be doing anything since I believe it is most effective for outbreaks four to six times a year, not the hyper-recurrent stuff that I am currently dealing with. I am going back to see about an acyclovir prescription which, from what I have read, should help with what is going on here.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of cycle where the outbreaks start off spaced apart, lasting two to three weeks, and then accelerate in frequency but decrease in severity? I am holding out hope that since I am in my first year of infection my body will get a handle on this ridiculousness sooner or later.

I don't have direct experience with this kind of a herpes outbreak cycle, but I have heard many different experiences in many different ways. Each person's cycle seems to be different in its own way, especially in the first year as your body is getting used to this new virus and building anti-bodies.

In addition to taking the daily suppressive meds, take care of your body. Be healthy, go to the gym, do cardio, sweat. That in my book is more important than any meds. And not only physical health, but mental health as well: Be fair to yourself. This doesn't mean being unnaturally cheerful or fake positive ... this means owning what you're feeling ... then allowing yourself to feel it in a non-judgmental, non-shaming way. Notice when you numb out and be aware of where you are in your process and what you need. We tend to beat ourselves up so much about having this silly little virus. But why? That's only perpetuating the pain we're feeling.

This is a test. It's only a test. ;) A test to how much we can care about ourselves and realize that what we have is less important than who we are.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Yes I did and they settled into a constant cycle until about 2 months ago...I thought it would go on forever....and then suddenly they stopped almost overnight, I think mhy body finally got a handle on it. I don't take medication, just eat a very alkaline diet, take barley grass powder morning and night, exercise daily and actively practice keeping positive...accepting, forgiving, letting go of unimportant stuff and negative people, finding things to laugh about and enjoy every day...creating my life so I love it. When I feel myself slipping, herpes has a way of making sure I get in balance again - my life has been better and my challenge is to stay healthy and form deeper connections with people. I agree with Hopp...what we have is less important than who we are.

Thanks to you both for writing back! I got the results of the igg back and am officially dealing with herpes type 2. My doctor prescribed me 1000mg of valtrex a day for 3 months to see how it goes. 5 days into the dosages and nothing has changed (had 1 small outbreak heal and another begin) but i remain hopeful that the medication just needs a bit of time to jive with my body...or these herpes are resistant as all get out.

I have recently cut down drastically on my cigarette smoking and began a jogging and body weight workout program in an attempt to up my immune functions. I am trying very hard to remember that this is a test, however awful things seem to get.

This forum is not bursting at the seams with members but I really do feel that everyone who posts is doing a great service to anyone looking for guidance, kind words or just to know that they are not alone.

In all my experience with my herpes outbreaks, if I've caught it before it actually becomes a blister (prodrome phase ... you know, those "tingly" sensations?) then taking meds heads it off at the pass. But if it's already in full bloom, it doesn't really seem to do much. Then it's all about keeping the area dry and allowing it to heal. That said, after your initial outbreak, all subsequent outbreaks tend to get much easier to handle AND you get to know your prodrome signals, so you can get better at anticipating the outbreak and stopping it before it starts.

I'm glad you're getting value out of this forum AND we're only a few months old. We keep adding more and more great people daily (like you!). Thanks for posting and supporting, bro.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

That's awesome you are taking steps to strengthen your immune system... herpes has a way of making us do that! Cut out as much sugar as you can too, smoking and sugar make it hard for your body to heal itself.

It does get easier and won't seem so awful...you become more aware of your body and realise that H is there to get you back on track to look after yourself.

I like this forum too...it's nice having a small group of people who are dealing with this so positively. I don't know anyone who has herpes and to just be able to share with others who do is helpful. And now to be able to support others is really important to me.

• 2 weeks later...

You all are amazing! Lelani, I am also finding hope and strength with a more alkaline diet. Keep on keepin' on!

And jlmj, we all experience this really differently. I have times where it seems like it will never retreat, and others where I almost forget it's still with me. Wish you the best.

Yeah i do know people who have herpes extriangle- my giver who is still friends with me and another man i dated. They have both been really supportive so I am very thankful for that. I have become very open about having herpes and as yet no one of my friends has said they have it.

And dom...thanks for the encouragement. yes an alkaline diet really helps and means i dont' have to spend a fortune on supplements - great you are giving it a go too! The lous side is its awesome for staying really slim, having clear skin and sparkling eyes ;-) I mean now I am so gorgeous how could anyone resist me lol?

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Has anyone tried any of those topical creams? I used one after outbreak three - herpes type 2 and...... didn't have another outbreak for two years! Not even when I was pregnant and my body went through alot of changes, or during labour when one's body can be a little stressed out...

Just wondering if I am the only one who was tempted to use anything like this and any thoughts??

Hey tirnua! There is no miracle cure in pill form or topical creams (at least not yet). It may seem like that cream you used is what caused you to not have another outbreak, but I wonder if that would have happened anyway. I hear of cases where people have their first few outbreaks and then never have another outbreak again, naturally, without pills or creams. The only way to know for sure that this stuff works is in double blind studies to make sure the healing isn't just taking place without any intervention. A big part of this, too, is the placebo effect. I'm a firm believer in the power of belief. ;) If you take a medicine that causes you to believe without a doubt that you won't have another outbreak, I do believe that you will not have another outbreak. The human mind is powerful. More powerful than any pill or cream.

Helpful resources: