• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV1 - one blood test, no symptoms - disclosing?

Hey there - I remembered today that I tested positive for HSV1 two years ago via blood test (not sure which actual test was run but it was through planned parenthood). I’ve never had a cold sore. 

Somehow I blocked this information out at some point and stopped disclosing to romantic partners. 

Im horrified with myself for having done this and the risk that I may have infected someone without knowing. I can’t seem to find good information on the actual risk, especially given the high prevalence of HSV1 and the fact that it can be transmitted non sexually. 

Im hoping for insight into best practice moving forward (I do have an appointment to talk to a doc and get retested). Do I tell people before sharing drinks? Kissing? 

Thanks!

If I was HSV-1 positive via blood test with no outbreaks in the genitals, I would not disclose, and I say that as someone who must, and does, disclose to every partner about my HSV-2. HSV 1 is something 80% of the population has, and if you have no reason to believe it is a genital infection then what, exactly, are you even disclosing? "Hey, I have what almost everyone has." Like, who is this hypothetical person that doesn't then have sex with someone with HSV-1? Just go back to living a normal life like everyone else.

• Like 1
On 10/13/2018 at 12:13 AM, Ishmael said:

If I was HSV-1 positive via blood test with no outbreaks in the genitals, I would not disclose, and I say that as someone who must, and does, disclose to every partner about my HSV-2. HSV 1 is something 80% of the population has, and if you have no reason to believe it is a genital infection then what, exactly, are you even disclosing? "Hey, I have what almost everyone has." Like, who is this hypothetical person that doesn't then have sex with someone with HSV-1? Just go back to living a normal life like everyone else.

So only if she has a reason to believe it’s genital she should disclose? Isn’t that the double standard and stigma we’re trying to eliminate? Especially given the fact that it recurs more/sheds more/is more likely to transmit from the oral location?

This is the problem. No one thinks anyone who has HSV1 is obliged to disclose when they are the ones spreading it to genitals. The logic in this is absurd. And what you said above perpetuates it.

Im not attacking you at all I’m just pointing out that this is the very issue in society that makes those who have (really) the better combo of HSV1 and it’s location feel worse about themselves. I had a tough time coming to terms with disclosing my HSV location but now that I have because I want to, others who do have GHSV1 shouldn’t feel that they have to disclose their same virus just because it’s on their genitals - EVERYONE should disclose.

@RainyGal if you’ve never had an OB but test positive for it, I wouldn’t disclose. Unless you want to. In which case it could be something something done in passing.

1 hour ago, 22&Depressed said:

So only if she has a reason to believe it’s genital she should disclose? Isn’t that the double standard and stigma we’re trying to eliminate? Especially given the fact that it recurs more/sheds more/is more likely to transmit from the oral location?

This is the problem. No one thinks anyone who has HSV1 is obliged to disclose when they are the ones spreading it to genitals. The logic in this is absurd. And what you said above perpetuates it.

Im not attacking you at all I’m just pointing out that this is the very issue in society that makes those who have (really) the better combo of HSV1 and it’s location feel worse about themselves. I had a tough time coming to terms with disclosing my HSV location but now that I have because I want to, others who do have GHSV1 shouldn’t feel that they have to disclose their same virus just because it’s on their genitals - EVERYONE should disclose.

@RainyGal if you’ve never had an OB but test positive for it, I wouldn’t disclose. Unless you want to. In which case it could be something something done in passing.

I should clarify that it's not a matter of oral or genital to me, so I shouldn't have specified genitals. If you get cold sores, you should disclose. I hear you about the stigma associated with genital herpes being BS, and I'm sorry if I perpetuated that here. If anything, genital HSV1 is harder to pass on than oral HSV1. In this case, she has no symptoms, either orally or on her genitals, which puts her on par with the 80% of the population that has it.

7 hours ago, New2GH said:

Hi @RainyGal, maybe you can find this sheet useful in regards to transmission.  I hope all is well.6ECFFE98-7E0D-4503-B99F-5A5F6F8B0CA1.jpeg

Rainygirl, you should definitely ignore this chart. The transmission rates in the pie charts refer to studies that are geared toward genital HSV-2 transmission. If you are symptomless for HSV-1 and gave this infographic to your partner, you'd basically  be giving them a bunch of misinformation along with the couple of statistics in the block text that do refer directly to HSV-1. Genital HSV-1 and genital hsv-2 do not present, shed, or transmit in a similar fashion, and only one stat on this entire chart refers to that.

This is a good resource for people with genital HSV-2, and even then people should be aware that the 10% number is gleaned from studies where the couples in question have typically been together already for years, meaning that there are likely factors that are contributing to the low rate of 10% without condoms or antivirals. Most people that catch HSV-2 from their partners do so within the first few months of the relationship.

Bottom line: The rate of genital to genital hsv-1 transmission to either the genitals or orally are not reflected in this chart, and it's likely not going to your partner relevant information. You need to be very cautious about getting information from people (including me!) on internet forums. You would be better served by talking about HSV-1 with a healthcare professional. 

34 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I should clarify that it's not a matter of oral or genital to me, so I shouldn't have specified genitals. If you get cold sores, you should disclose. I hear you about the stigma associated with genital herpes being BS, and I'm sorry if I perpetuated that here. If anything, genital HSV1 is harder to pass on than oral HSV1. In this case, she has no symptoms, either orally or on her genitals, which puts her on par with the 80% of the population that has it.

Also, anyone (like me) who has HSV-2 should disclose, symptoms or no. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

@22&DepressedThis should read "I'm sorry THAT (not 'if') I perpetuated that here."

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That’s okay! That’s what I was trying to say. Its like, if anyone has MORE so of an obligation (though everyone should have the same obligation), it should be those who have oral HSV1. Thanks for addressing that 😊

• Like 1