• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

When was your first outbreak

Looking to hear from people who KNOW who they caught herpes genital from. I’m trying to pinpoint down when I caught this. I know sometimes it’s not that easy but I want to know if you know who you got it from cause my question is how many days after sex did u have your first outbreak or notice symptoms. I noticed symptoms 23 days after sex but from research and speaking to doctor they said that first outbreak would be between 2-10 days so they say my herpes infectuon is not new if I had outbreak 23 days after sex? 

You should get a blood test done. If you’re negative in the blood that means it’s a recent infection (you contracted it less that like 12 weeks ago)

however if your blood test comes back positive, there’s a chance it has been dormant and this is a reoccurring outbreak that just may be more severe 

Could be possible but no way to know for sure. My symptoms didn’t start till 6 weeks after exposure. Anything is possible when it comes to onset of symptoms. 

The only way to truly know if you got it from someone is if you ask the people you have been with before to get tested or had proof that you didn’t have the virus, slept with only 1 person in a span of 4 months, got tested again and were positive.

sorry I can’t be of more help but I hope you find what you’re looking for

My blood test showed that I didn’t have any antibodies at 8 weeks so it was a recent infection and I only had 2 partners this year. 1 would have been 20 weeks post exposure so I should have had antibodies but the other was 8 weeks so likely for it from him. I got swab tested 9 days and 8 weeks post exposure and the 9 days was negative (and I didn’t have symptoms) I got swab tested at 8 weeks because I had stinging sensation and nerve pain so I knew that maybe it just took a while for the virus to show itself. 

However I do question if there’s a chance I got it from the guy 20 weeks before swab because I had a terrible yeast and bacterial infection but she said there was no herpes and that I should have showed antibodies if he was the one who infected me.

Yes, I think getting a cold from the sick college campus triggered the outbreak. 

Unfortunatley I am not an expert on lab values

its possible for it to show in the blood that soon after exposure but I’m not sure about that high of a value. Hopefully someone else on this forum can answer that one for you

Hello @bonnie_1987, My igG index value was a 10.40 and when I asked Terri Warren if I had a recent infection she told me it was likely an older/established infection at that index value.  As you know this is a common question and so Terri's answer is usually that index values such as ours are not likely to be recent infections.  I hope that helps.  You can check out her forum (if you haven't done so already) and read her responses to this very question from others.  Take care.

Hi thanks. I have myself asked Terri warren and she said this index value can be obtained in the 9 weeks she said it’s certainly possible. She also said that if it was a new infection I would have seen an outbreak in 2-10 days but because I have had a outbreak in 23 days it’s an old infection?? However I have never ever had any symptoms before. When did you get your symptoms how many days past exposure?

(to be honest Terri has answered some of my questions and I’ve asked a lot and she has contradicted her self by giving me one answer then giving me a diff answer to same question)

4 hours ago, bonnie_1987 said:

Hi thanks. I have myself asked Terri warren and she said this index value can be obtained in the 9 weeks she said it’s certainly possible. She also said that if it was a new infection I would have seen an outbreak in 2-10 days but because I have had a outbreak in 23 days it’s an old infection?? However I have never ever had any symptoms before. When did you get your symptoms how many days past exposure?

(to be honest Terri has answered some of my questions and I’ve asked a lot and she has contradicted her self by giving me one answer then giving me a diff answer to same question)

I'm glad you brought that up because I've definitely caught her contradicting herself.  My gut says I caught it within the three months preceding onset of symptoms (with my last possible exposure being four days before symptoms began).  I could fall into the common scenario of having symptoms 2-10 days post last exposure but also could fall into scenario where symptoms appeared from an exposure that was almost three months old (I had several partners during that 3-month period).  Prior to those three months I was celibate for about half a year without any kind of symptom.  So that's why I'm thinking my infection was recent or within three months or so of diagnosis.  Otherwise I've been carrying it for a very long time and it only decided to mess with me when it did.  All possible scenarios.  I'll never know and I don't speak to any of my past partners and (with what I know now) wouldn't trust anyone to tell me the truth anyway.  

• Thanks 1

With in a week of having sex I noticed that I felt different it almost felt like a UTI and then second week was when I got sick with flu symptoms and then blisters came. The first week went to the doctor and thought it was UTI.. told her I got back with old partner and we had sex so she decided to do the swab test to check for STD and Herpes being one on them. My swab came back detected for HSV1. I then didn’t realize it was gential until the following week when the blisters came I got on medication right away. I found out my ex had Herpes but failed to inform me plus he had a recent ob that he was healing from when we had sex. I knew then he gave it to me as I previously was tested and it was negative blood test and I never had that type of experience before of getting sick like that.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:25 AM, New2GH said:

Hello @bonnie_1987, My igG index value was a 10.40 and when I asked Terri Warren if I had a recent infection she told me it was likely an older/established infection at that index value.  As you know this is a common question and so Terri's answer is usually that index values such as ours are not likely to be recent infections.  I hope that helps.  You can check out her forum (if you haven't done so already) and read her responses to this very question from others.  Take care.

Can I ask how soon after outbreak did you get tested?  To have a 10.40 Igg