• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes Since Birth???

So I am very new here. My current state has brought me here for conversation over herpes. Wondering if there's anyone like my story here...

So about one year ago I had my first major outbreak of HSV-2 genitally. Originally I thought my ex had given it to me but as time went on certain symptoms caused by the virus like itching, nerve pains/burning in legs have triggered some past memories of them happening when I was younger. Yet my ex's doctor said that her "hemorrhoid" issue must have been mis-diagnosed after she showed me an actual breakout she was having, and so her doctor claimed I must have gotten it from her. While my doctor tells me she thinks I've had it since I was a kid and that I gave it to my ex. When I was around 15 - 16 I remember having what I believe was a very small breakout (similar to what I have now, 1-2 blisters lasting a few hours, popping on their own and then scabbing for a few days) and thinking "Well I'm a virgin so this can't possibly be anything std related" and just left it at that. And when I was really young, I am talking like 6,7,8, I had those symptoms I mentioned above.  My mom says she doesn't have it. So how the heck do I get hsv2 as a child I am wondering?... Is it possibly to pass on herpes from bathing your child I wonder?

I am 24, lost virginity at 18, haven't had issues with any of my other partners and they have tested clean. It just baffles me how I could have contacted it as a child which that seems to be the case here.

I started taking valacyclovir after my "first" major outbreak that involved an outbreak in my urethra last year. Afterwards I have not had an outbreak like that, but I get at least two now per month or sometimes even more if I stop taking the medicine. So two months ago I started taking it daily, and, no breakouts at all. Then the medicine started making me extremely tired, dizzy and disorientated which Is a big no no for my job. Every-time I stop the medicine I feel normal and brain fog free again, but two days later without the meds I have another outbreak. Very frustrating... Anyone ever have tiredness/symptoms from vala as well? 

52 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You don't get genital HSV-2 as a child unless someone is having sex with you. 

However, a newborn can get it if born to a mother with HSV2 and an outbreak during birth. It's why pregnant women with HSV-2 are put on Valtrex during their 3rd trimester, and have a c-section if they have an outbreak when it's time to have the baby.

• Like 1