• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

pros and cons of taking valtrex for herpes outbreaks?

Hey everyone,

I received a call two days ago from the doctor telling me that I have herpes one.I am 23 and i am still a virgin.I had oral sex twice with only one guy. He said he does not have it.I have been crying since then because I don't know where I got it from.I don't mess around with guys like that because I had always been scared of getting any disease but I guess it didn't help. I really like that guy....I don't know how to handle it. Couldn't even make it to work today.OMG just need to talk to someone who has been going through this. I don't understand how you guys can handle this. Even crying right now (sorry for the mistakes English is not my second language). Also I was planning on getting a second opinion this week. Should I wait to get the second result or should I start taking the medication. What are the pros and cons guys?

thank you!

Hi Vanaud!

Welcome to the forums and a big hug to you. You're going to be okay, I promise. Let all of your judgments against herpes go. "Guys like that" don't have herpes. People get herpes. It's just a fact of having sex these days. The more judgments you have against "those people with herpes" the more you're judging yourself. When it comes down to it, it's just a simple skin condition with a stigma associated with it.

Here's an article on herpes medication:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-medication

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

"Hi there...so glad you found us and can share your worries. What symptoms do you have? It really isn't the end of the world even though right now it feels like it is. I have had HSV 2 for 3 years and HPV (genital warts) for 28 years). I got both from men I was committed to. When you are diagnosed it feels awful and it takes time to deal with it....you are still the same person and this virus is just a virus. 80% of people in the world have HSV1 so you are in the majority. Most people don't know they have it and have no symptoms...you can catch it from anyone kissing you and most people have had it since childhood. I was married to someone for 25 years who had hsv 1 orally and I never caught it..and we weren't aware of the risk so didn't take precautions. You will be ok...remember you aren't alone and you can always message me if you need some support. This virus will bring up your fears so look at them, work on them and know that you are bigger than this virus :-) Big hug x"

Thank you for the link Adrial! It did help.

Hey lelani. The bump comes before my period and disappear after. It does not bother me at all.I am not sexually active now. So I decided not to take valtrex. Do you think that is a bad idea? The doctor wants me too take it Anyway but I am just like I am not sexually active so why should I do that.Need some advice....

Thank you guys!

Hi Vanoud,

usually the bumps always come before or in your period , this is quit usuall by woman.If the bumps dont bother you and you dont have much pain or the itchy feelig, there is no need that you take antivirales.For the most people the frequence of outbreaks go down in the first 3-6 month because antibodys build up.Some people have an outbreak only once a year ,some people have it every month(like me so i this case you need medication).In the next month you need to see how your body is reacting to the virus ,when you dont get much symtoms i would suggest that you only live a healthy live without medicatio .At the moment you not sexually active so no chance of transmission, at the point you have a partnet its much better if you take antivirales because it put the transmission rate down.

For now you should listen to your body and decide yourself whats the best for you.

Have a good day.

Judith

Hey Judith and Lelani,

Judith I should say the same day I have my period. And you both are right I need to start observing my body. Btw I do feel better because at the end of the day I am still the same person. :-)

Thank you guys!

Hi Vanaud!

I am sorry to hear you are upset--I understand. I got herpes just after my 21st birthday so I understand that being only 23 and getting this is upsetting too. I contracted it in France so I had to deal with it all in French (my second language) so I really feel for you to have to do this in English which you say is not your first language. It sucks! I just wanted to say that this is not your fault and it isn't fair but you are still young and strong and beautiful and can still be happy. I get outbreaks after my periods mostly but I started taking Valtrex for a while just so I don't have to stress about it. Then I will figure out how I will deal with it in the long term.

Good luck to you and I'm sending good vibes your way!

~Emma