• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes transmission questions (genital HSV-1)

Hey guys!

I have been living with H for 3 months now and I recently met someone. I did my research but I haven't found answers for everything. 

I have HSV-1 genitally. Can someone go down on me without protection ( I'm a woman) without the risk of me  transmitting it to them and vice versa ?  Can I cuddle in my underwear or is it not safe? And this is a bit embarrassing but can someone finger me without protection or should we use gloves or something? 

I haven't been intimate with someone since i found out and even before,  it was only with 1 guy for  few times so I am new to this like completely. Any help is appreciated

Thanks 

The majority of folks have oral HSV-1. If you have genital HSV-1, someone going down on you is the same as them kissing the 80% of folks who get cold sores (oral HSV-1). Cuddling and fingering when you're not having an active outbreak should be just fine (aka carries lower risk) since the amount the virus sheds during asymptomatic viral shedding is generally not enough to break through non-mucus membrane skin. It's also going to depend on where your outbreaks occur as that's where the asymptomatic viral shedding will tend to concentrate around. What's most important is to have open conversations with your partner(s) around the actual risks involved and put it all in context so you're both on the same page. 

• Like 3

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

2 hours ago, mr_hopp said:

The majority of folks have oral HSV-1. If you have genital HSV-1, someone going down on you is the same as them kissing the 80% of folks who get cold sores (oral HSV-1). Cuddling and fingering when you're not having an active outbreak should be just fine (aka carries lower risk) since the amount the virus sheds during asymptomatic viral shedding is generally not enough to break through non-mucus membrane skin. It's also going to depend on where your outbreaks occur as that's where the asymptomatic viral shedding will tend to concentrate around. What's most important is to have open conversations with your partner(s) around the actual risks involved and put it all in context so you're both on the same page. 

What are the risks of transferring hsv 1 from mouth to penis? He already has hsv1 orally, but I know, despite what others have said, that you can still get it in other places, though the chances are lower. I just dont want to cause him any grief. We already had the discussion and he is fully supportive, but I dont want to hurt him. 

6 minutes ago, mcr23456 said:

What are the risks of transferring hsv 1 from mouth to penis? He already has hsv1 orally, but I know, despite what others have said, that you can still get it in other places, though the chances are lower. I just dont want to cause him any grief. We already had the discussion and he is fully supportive, but I dont want to hurt him. 

50% of all new genital herpes cases are HSV-1 due to receiving oral sex and passing it from mouth to genitals, so it's pretty common. And yes, if he already carries HSV-1 antibodies, then that does lessen the risk of transmission to other parts of his body. It basically carries the same risk as auto-inoculation (spreading your own herpes outbreak to other parts of the body), which becomes lower and lower the more time the body has a chance to build up immunity to the virus strain.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Herpes transmission questions (genital HSV-1)