• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Mono and antibodies

Could having mono in the past make you an asymptomatic hsv carrier because of antibodies built from a family strain? Basically not have any hsv symptoms because you have had mono before. I think this may have been the case for a girl who potentially gifted me h.

No, different virus in the same family of viruses. Chicken pox is also in the herpes family, but you cannot give someone herpes if you have a history of chicken pox. The girl who gifted you herpes had to have been exposed to the HSV virus in order to share it. 

Edited to add: I do not know the statistics on having a previous history of Mono and then being exposed to HSV and being asymptomatic. I had mono when I was a teenager, was exposed to HSV, and am asymptomatic.  So, if that was your question, then although I don't know the answer, I will say that is my experience. Mono history, no symptoms of HSV.

1 hour ago, 100918 said:

Edited to add: I do not know the statistics on having a previous history of Mono and then being exposed to HSV and being asymptomatic. I had mono when I was a teenager, was exposed to HSV, and am asymptomatic.  So, if that was your question, then although I don't know the answer, I will say that is my experience. Mono history, no symptoms of HSV.

That’s what I was asking. History of mono then exposed to hsv and no symptoms, but still a carrier. Anyone else care to chime in?

I’ve had mono as a teenager too. I’ve only been diagnosed with hsv1 10 months ago by blood test and it was 37 leg. I had a genital swab months ago too that was negative, and assume I have it genitally because I get irritated down there at times in the past year. I’ve never known to have this since I’ve had STD tests during my pregnancies, and never had oral symptoms so not sure about all of this. But, if I have anything, I’m assuming my husband does too. 

I was exposed to mono when I was younger (tested positive for EBV). I was never symptomatic for mono. I did experience symptoms for HSV-2 (pretty bad first outbreak).

A large portion of the population has had mono or will test positive for EBV. Also, most people infected with HSV-2 don't experience symptoms, so there may just be a correlation; I think it is statistically more likely for a person to have antibodies to both viruses and be asymptomatic.

Did the girl who potentially gave you herpes have a blood test that confirmed antibodies to HSV?

8 hours ago, tiredandlonely said:

A large portion of the population has had mono or will test positive for EBV. Also, most people infected with HSV-2 don't experience symptoms, so there may just be a correlation; I think it is statistically more likely for a person to have antibodies to both viruses and be asymptomatic.

Did the girl who potentially gave you herpes have a blood test that confirmed antibodies to HSV?

The girl I was with is convinced that she’s clean, and doesn’t want to test. She told me she has mono before. Also found out afterwards that she’s schitzophrenic and I read that can be link to hsv and mono, rarely...but she definitely is mental...and admits it

I think it is a bit of a reach to say she has herpes because she is schizophrenic. I have read that there are links, but not everyone who is schizophrenic has herpes. 

I think the mono is unrelated. I also acknowledge that it's totally possible that she (or anyone) has HSV-2 and does not have symptoms. This is very common.

The only way to know if she has herpes is for her to get tested. You can ask her to do this for you, but based on what you have written, it sounds like she is unwilling to do this. 

Also, keep in mind that even if she has HSV-2, it does not mean that you caught it from her. If she didn't have an outbreak and if you used condoms (not sure if you did?), your risk of transmission would still be quite low.

I think you should focus on taking care of yourself and finding a doctor who can help you reach a diagnosis. I am not convinced that you have herpes, but I am so sorry that you are suffering.