• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What a relief... Herpes talk success!

I am fairly new to this forum and thought I would share a story I recently experienced. I know reading other positive stories has helped me tremendously!! So I want to contribute in hoping to help others.

I had met someone whom I was interested in about a month ago. UGH...I thought, because I knew this meant I would have to disclose down the road. Great date after great date...the time was approaching that I needed to say something. So last night I decided it just had to be done.

Before I go into how it went I want to first say if it wasn't for this site I may not have been as confident while disclosing. Herpes has really taught me to love myself and all of my great qualities, It's such a great feeling :) I wish I didn't have it BUT I have come to accept it. It doesn't define who I am.

So, back to the disclosure story. He made me dinner, we watched a movie and just had great conversation. I am such an easy person to read and he knew I had something on my mind. So, here goes nothing I say to myself...."I found out 1 year ago that I carry the herpes virus." I was so nervous and fidgety! He calmly asked "what does this mean for us?". I proceeded to answer his questions and we discussed it for a few minutes and he told me it didn't change the way he felt nor did it change his attraction to me. What a relief...the elephant was out of the room! I ended up staying the night :D!!!

Regardless of how things turn out for him and I, I know I will be OK! I left with my head held high and a smile on my face. We already have plans to see each other again :).

I want to say to everyone who is having a difficult time dealing with herpes. Please keep smiling, do not let this change who you are as a person. I went through my struggles when I first found out, I was devastated to say the least. But I didn't want it to ruin my hopes and dreams. Being myself and enjoying life is how I met this wonderful man, it's what attracted him to me. So continue to be that wonderful person you are and that's who you will attract, someone great.

Hugs to all!

"Herpes has really taught me to love myself and all of my great qualities, It's such a great feeling ..." I love that you're loving yourself. And herpes didn't do that. You did. :) Herpes just acted as a catalyst for you to finally start loving yourself beneath all the superficial stuff. :) You said it right: Being yourself and enjoying your life instead of believing the herpes hype is what attracts people to you. I'm happy for you and proud of you for the courage to disclose. Nice work!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: