• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Your experiences with suppressive therapy for herpes?

I've had hsv 1 on my genitals since I was 21. I'm now 28. I didn't have another outbreak until last year. This year I've had four outbreaks. I'm thinking about suppressive therapy to keep my herpes outbreaks more under control. I'm just not sure if its right for me since this is the most outbreaks I've ever had since I got herpes. I'm just wondering about your experiences with suppressive therapy? Thank you.

Xoxo

Hey Xtina!

Whenever I find myself in a relationship with someone who doesn't have herpes, I go on suppressive therapy to cut down on viral shedding and protect them more. And what your describing sounds like a good reason to try it out, too. In my mind, there are only 2 solid reasons to go on suppressive therapy: To keep your partners safer (it cuts down on viral shedding by about half) or to cut down on the amount of outbreaks you have. I personally haven't had any troubles taking the medication. I take Acyclovir since it's cheaper than Valtrex and works the same, but consult your doctor for all the specifics around that. We can't give you specific medical advice here.

Here are a few articles for you:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-treatment/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-medication/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

@xtina420 I am on suppressive therapy. I know you said on my thread you have HSV1. My doctor told me he didn't think I needed it. Since the type I have. But I pretty much told him i didn't care what he thought I wanted it to reduce breaking out ever again. So I'm on it. Valtrex 500mg once a day is what I am on. Valtrex I've noticed makes me nauseous some days. That's the only issue I've had with it. I'm high strung in general, so I just wanted it to try my best to reduce chances of breaking out ever again. But it's up to you and your doctor and what you feel is best. Just thought id give insight into my thought process and experience on it. I mean I've only had this a month and a half, but I haven't broken out again, and believe me I have had some very stressful things happen to me lately. So... Fingers crossed this medicine is working. Good luck!

Even though you've had it a month that still gives me some home that suppressive therapy will help me out! From going years without an outbreak to every month now is taking its toll on me. Big time!! I have an appointment tomorrow to talk to my doctors about it. So fingers crossed for me!! Thanks @defeated

I take Aciclovir ( not sure if that's the brand name rather than the medication name). I had continual outbreaks for months and haven't had one properly since going on suppressive ( only tingles ect) I have had no side effects and when my GP stops prescribing ( he says 3 months and see, and I am coming to the end) I will just pay for it ( UK its free while prescribed :-)) because for me its being a god sent ! hope it works for you x

• 2 weeks later...

My very first herpes outbreak was very mild. So mild, that I started to think that maybe I had an ob before that but never even noticed. A week after my diagnosis, I went on medication. I have been on it for 9 weeks now. I get "tingles" and what also feels like cramps all the time though, so I don't know if that is normal or not. I have high anxiety anyways, so I didn't want my constant worrying and depression to bring on another breakout. I'd rather just not ever have another ob again. But, I also do not have any intention of being in a relationship, so what is the point of taking meds? I don't know... These are just my thoughts. Anyone else feel this way?

Hi abc,

As far as I'm concerned there are only 2 reasons you should take herpes medication. :) This article goes into both of them:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-medication/

And I do think it's important to actually get to know your outbreaks and how they come on with the prodrome symptoms. That way, when you are ready to be in relationship, you're that much more knowledgeable about your own body's way of handling herpes so you can keep your partner that much safer.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: