• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Prodrome symptoms and type 1 genital herpes

So I have type 1 genital herpes, and I know that type 1 typically prefers the mouth region. My only question is will my prodrome symptoms occur near my mouth because that's the region it prefers even though I don't have oral herpes? Or will it still occur in the genital region since that's where my outbreak was? (I've only had my first outbreak so don't know my prodrome symptoms yet)

Oh yea also on a side note, I was told I can't pass herpes or get oral herpes from sharing drinks with people (Again, I don't have oral herpes, but just for future reference in case I happen to get it). Is there any truth to this? Cuz I grew up hearing differently and I don't wanna confuse the details on something as serious as herpes.

Hey there!

Regarding the Prodrome symptoms - you will get them where the Herpes is about to break out - so for you it will be the genitals. The virus is living in the nerves in that region and it will likely break out in the same place or places each time as the first time you got it....it will feel like a tingling, itching, or burning for most.

Regarding sharing drinks - it is very very unlikely you will get it that way unless a person has a roaring, oozing outbreak .... the virus doesn't live long outside the body and if you are asymtomatically shedding (ie, without an OB) there wouldn't be enough virus to really have any affect. A very large OB/sore would be shedding a LOT of virus - you might want to be a little more cautious in that case.... odds are you wouldn't get it but I'd play safe, esp if your immune system is under a lot of stress..... but in reality it's FAR more likely you will share another virus like the Flu when sharing a drink ;)

Thank you so much. Do you have genital as well? I'm only asking because I know through reading previous posts and seeing your comments that you have children. And just wanted to know if you had them before or after getting genital herpes? I'm not thinking of having kids now, but definitely in the future, and I need a woman's perspective on going through pregnancy with herpes.

I hit the jackpot and got both - got HSV2 likely from my first sexual experience (read: young and dumb...LOL) So yes - had 2 children with HSV.

At that time there was a lot of conflicting info so the Dr I had with my first convinced me to have a Cesarean section to "protect my daughter". They had Valtrex then and could have put me on it as a precaution. But he didn't give me the option. I pitched a fit when I got pregnant with my second and managed to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) and I didn't even go on the valtrex.

If you get pregnant make sure to do your research so you can make a very clear birth plan with your Dr.... once you are in labor it's harder to really deal with tons of questions about what you want... ;)

I also have genital HSV 1. I was told we are the second most rare form next to HSV 2 orally. WIth that said, I was also told that we are now immune to oral herpes since we already have type one. We can really only spread our herpes to someone going down on us if we are shedding and have open sores. We can 1% spread it to anthers mouth if we have no outbreak or symptoms due to asymptomatic shedding. I have only had one outbreak (my initial) and that was 2 years ago. I only take meds when i feel something which has happened a couple times but it never erupted. I also have one more thing to add-

i noticed for me, it is kind of sad, but I don't feel as concerned about catching other STDs. I feel like i already have herpes what else can really happen? I know this is awful because i can still contract other STDs, but i know herpes is not curable yet. The others mostly are and I also have HPV… i found out recently. However, I had those abnormal cells burnt off through a procedure and I should be clear. In that case I see myself as well I already have 2 STDs… what else really can stand in my way!? :) ;) I don't know if others feel this way?

I also have hsv one genitally I had a scare and thought if was happening on my lip last week but so far nothing I'm just hoping I stay clear of every thing for a while I'm not on suppressive meds but I take lysine and vitamins b complex almost every day fingers crossed for me

@inspired you should never feel like that there is so much worse that can happen to you herpes is not life treating you should protect yourself so you don't get something that can take away your life. It sounds ignorant but I don't think herpes is an std nor should it be called that it is a rash people have it on there arms and legs obviously they weren't having sex with those things u can get it through sex but not always

Inspired:

There IS HIV (which you *could* get more easily if you have an open sore from the H) - and there are also about 29 other genital variations of HPV.... never mind the Chlamydia, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Hep C (Which you REALLY dont want to get...and which is another STD that is much more common than you think because many carry it unknowingly)

So please - be careful my friend. (((HUGS)))