• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes leads to happiness? Or herpiness?

As beautiful as my life has been, filled with blessings beyond counting, I've come to the realization that having herpes has actually led me to be a happier person. No, I'm not on any hallucinogen - let me explain.

When I discovered I had herpes, I found the bottom of the low. Each of us has a wide range of emotions, and I actually plunked down smack dab on my rear at the darkest point of my mind, and was filled with incredible earth shattering despair. I truly thought my life was over and that I was dirty and no one could possibly ever love me or want me again (interesting how so much of having herpes is a MENTAL state). And I screamed. I cried. The pain was excruciating physically, but my mind and heart were in an even worse state. I was up all night and finally fell asleep out of sheer exhaustion.

When I woke again a few hours later, my eyes were swollen nearly shut, and I could barely feel my hands from the stress. I got up, opened the window, blew my nose, then breathed in the icy winter air deeply and exhaled it slowly. And then a surprising thing happened. I breathed in again and out again. I was alive. Not only was I alive but I was taking pleasure in breathing, actually enjoying the fresh crisp air in my lungs. And I realized that if I could take pleasure in this, then there must be a thousand other things I had previously taken for granted that I would find unexpected joy in. And that I had reached the bottom the night before - knowing where the bottom is has given me perspective, and also a solid foundation to start building again, on wards and upwards.

Herpes has taught me:

-To give others the benefit of the doubt always. To be more patient.

-To take greater delight in the little things, and to look for them.

-To open my heart, be honest to a fault.

-To give others permission to love me

-To act each day to create happiness in others lives

-To forgive myself and others

-To shine out extraordinary light. To be an example.

-To be more accepting of the things I can and cannot change.

-To be unabashedly and unapologetically happy

So thank you, Herpes.

From the very bottom to the tippity top,

~Valkyrie