• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Vitamins, nutrition and working out to avoid herpes outbreaks?

hi!! I was wondering if anyone does not take the suppression therapy (acyclovir or valtrex)? I was taking it even after my first episode. My first episode was mild, well so I think. I since with in the past week am trying to not take it and I'm keeping up my regular routine which prior to this was eating healthier and exercising and taking a multi vitamin echinacea and vitamin c. So I'm going to try that. I don't want to depend on meds. I also still eat some of the foods that I've read could trigger outbreaks but I do so in moderation. I've cut back on caffeine, I have my coffee here and there. I haven't really noticed anything with the foods I mentioned but I try to eat well balanced fruits and veggies. I've been doing alot of positive self talk also. My working out has dwindled substantially in the past month. I have slowly started back up again just by walking. Yesterday I went for a good jog as it was a beautiful day and I did some other exercises. working out has always provided a good stress relief for me and I hope that I can keep it up. I was recently certified to teach fitness classes and I want to go back to that. I haven't pursued it prior to this but I still want to. What do you guys think should I do it still? I just basically wanted to see if anyone could tell me if it's better to take the antivirals in combo with the vitamins or better without? or is that just personal preference? Thank you you and hope you all have a great day!!

Hi Domh :-) I haven't taken any medication...chose the natural way as I have done for most things. I think its just personal preference...if you use natural healing you have to be committed and disciplined and it takes a bit more work. But in saying that you do get in the zone and don't even think about it.

You are doing great..not just in terms of dealing with H but just being healthy...its good for you! :-) Go for it with the fitness class, keep eating healthy and if you aren't having any episodes of H why take pills? If I get sexy with someone who isn't H+ then I'll take it but in the meantime for me I seem to be keeping H sleeping with all the things you are doing. You have a fab day too!

Hi! With my initial outbreak, five months ago, I did take the antiviral called acyclovir. For me, personally, it gave me super harsh side-effects. I had dizzy spells, and anxiety attacks on it. It was the only medication I was taking at the time, so I knew I could attribute all the weird things happening to the acyclovir. From that initial outbreak, and I have had quite a few subsequent outbreaks, I have chosen not to take the antiviral. It's not worth how crappy it makes me feel.

Personally, I went to the health food store and picked up Lysine capsules, Vitamin C with Bioflavanoids, and some Sublingual Vitamin D3. I only take the Lysine and Vit. C when I feel it coming on, and it has seemed to shorten the duration of what I am feeling. The Vit. D3 I have been taking every day.

I think for you to begin teaching fitness classes would be perfect for you due to the stress-relief that it would provide you. Anything we can do to distract our minds from hsv, I say do it and do it wholeheartedly. I believe that I have had so many subsequent outbreaks because of the high stress levels in my life. I am recently married. With this marriage, I have added five more children to my life. I am in my last semester of college right now, cramming in four classes while taking care of my husband and four full-time kiddos in our house. To make matters even better, we have baby mama drama (two baby mamas) on top of all the other changes. It has been very hard for me to get away from the stress, and I am quite sure if I had an opportunity to participate in some sort of fitness activity, it could only help matters.

The only thing that may come up with you teaching regular fitness classes is the fact that some people have outbreaks brought on by heat, friction, sweat, etc. If you are one of those who tend to outbreak due to these things, you may see more rebounds of the hsv. Beyond that, do it. What can it hurt?

OH, and my friend who also has hsv has told me that by cutting all white sugar from her diet, she has dropped her occurances of subsequent outbreaks to almost nothing. I believe this. Sugar creates havoc in our bodies.

Good luck, and keep moving forward and thinking positively and heathily!

;;)

Hi dohm21 !

Go for it I tell you :-)

I personally try to not take any medication, only multivitamin(exept from my last 4-in-a-row-episode) but do to school an the stress I'm having now right before my exams, I had my doctor give me a prescription just in case an episode should occure. I feel I do not need that in top of everything! Since I got diagnosed I've dropped 2 sizes just by eating healthy and working out. I decided to start taking eaven better care of my body now then ever before (been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for 4 years prior). Now I feel like the best verson of me EVER! :-)

If you keep your body on top, don't get sick and strengthen you're imunesystem, you will see that the episodes becomes more rare :-)

Fitness is a dream of mine to! Go for it, do what ever you want to do, always !

Much good luck to you!

Thank you all!!! I love being able to talk to all of you!!!. I really appreciate it. And know that you all are always in my thoughts and prayers (even if I don't know you). We are all motivating each other!! Sending you all well wishes, hugs and an amazing day!! We are amazing!!!!

I take Valtrex daily again. I am sort of on again, off again. I do take Lysine as well. I find that my diet affects how I feel. I had a OB last week because I was eating waaaaay too much sugar. I find foods like nuts (especially peanuts...found that out when I went through my peanut butter everyday phase), coffee, and red wine all can be triggers if I am tired or run down. If I keep myself well rested, watch my diet and work on my stress levels, I feel pretty good. Congratulations on all you are doing dom! Wow. I will be so glad when my knee heals (too much exercise, no stretching, over developed quads pulling my kneecaps off track) and I can get back to working out again. I feel so much better when I can.

I have been very tired for the past 3 weeks. I've been trying to workout, but just to get through a 60 minute workout is difficult right now. I treated myself to some tacos because I don't want to stress out and I've lost 52 pounds since June. I deserve a nice treat after all this news on Monday. But to the medication aspect, I took Valtrex the day I was tested. My sore went away in 2 days and it was amazing. I also have valtrex on hand in case I have another OB next week during my cycle. I won't take it unless I see an OB cause I want to make sure I don't need medication everyday.

I'm also addicted to diet coke, so I'm going to try and have maybe 2 glasses a day and cut that too. I have a lot of Vitamin C and I NEED to get back to the gym starting tomorrow or Friday with no excuses. :)

Before all this, I was at the gym 6-7 times a week and I ate tons of protein and veggies/salad.

I also personally think that if I didn't have the UTI, my primary OB was soooo mild that I didn't need Valtex. I just don't want to have to deal with it. :)