• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IGG Test with Index Values in Canada?

Hi All,

Just wondering if any Canadians out there know if HSV IGG tests are done with index values in the provinces of Quebec or Ontario? The ELISA test that I was given did not provide index values. I spoke directly with the lab technician who advised it was merely a positive or negative result. Since I don't have symptoms (and yes, I know I can be asymptomatic and that may very well be the case), I would just like something more conclusive. I plan on calling a few private labs but just wondering if any of you have taken IGG tests with index values in Canada or if that is prevalent. Tx!

Thanks everyone! I was under the impression that there are two types of ELISA tests, one that provides the index values and one that doesn't - just straight positive or negative. I've done some research this morning and there are private labs in Quebec that do test with index values, but they provide this information to the doctor and it's up to the doctor to pass on that information to the patient. I even called Public Health, but the person I spoke to was unaware of regulations concerning providing that information. It's very possible that Public Health recommend (or regulate) that doctors do not to provide those values. Honestly, it seems easier to just drive across the border and get the test done in the US... and do a little shopping too!

It's very possible that Public Health recommend (or regulate) that doctors do not to provide those values.

Honey, it's YOUR health ... I can't see how on earth a country that is meant to be "free" could regulate (never mind, recommend) that the person not be able to get their full-on lab results.

I would say that the trip across the border may be the answer ... and yet again, this is another reason why I am VERY much against any kind of Nationalized Health Care system. Ugh....

I agree, it's ridiculous. However, I just spoke to another private lab who said that they do conduct the test with index values and would provide a copy of the results. However... It costs $175 to see the doctor, $80 to open a file, and the test itself is another $130 (CAD). I spoke with Westover Heights last night, who said they can facilitate the Western Blot for $150-$200 (USD). Even if I cost in the gas to drive across the border, it still works out cheaper to get a better test... at this point, it seems like a no-brainer.

For those interested, this is what Public Health Agency of Canada replied after submitting the question on their website.

Q: Are there HSV tests available that provide the antibody index values? A lot of medical clinics just say positive/negative without providing index value and I was wondering if this is legislated? and if so, why?

A: HSV antibody tests are validated to distinguish HSV infected from non-infected individuals based on a threshold index value, above which, all (ideally) individuals are HSV infected (sensitivity) and below which, all individuals are not infected (sensitivity).

The level of antibodies above the threshold is not correlated with the status of the disease (primary, latent or reactivation), nor with the clinical severity, prognosis or duration of the infection. Moreover, the numerous HSV antibody tests on the market are based on different analytical principles and their antibody index values do not correlate. Some tests can only return a positive/negative result.

In summary, the antibody index value is clinically meaningless and HSV serology tests are approved only for a positive/negative result. Diagnostic laboratories will not return results that have no clinical utility or for which there is no regulatory approval, because that may be a cause of diagnostic errors and legal liability.

Ugh ..

While in a way, they are right that if you go on the (for instance) Elissa 1.1 value being a "positive" result, you have to take into account that anything between 1.1 and 3.5 had a 40% chance of being a false positive. Which is why I feel we need to know our numbers, because I would tell anyone with a "positive" number in that range to get re-tested later or do Western Blot.....

True, if you are over 3.5 then it really doesn't matter what your number is. If you are below 1.1, then that number doesn't matter either. But if you are in that "gray area", then I feel you have a right to know that you likely should re-test to confirm ...

*sigh*