• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

dating those in the medical professions

Well, I got H from a doctor. When I asked him about it, he didn't respond well, but that was because I had also just learned that he was cheating on me (at orgies, after insisting that we were monogamous), so it was going to be an ugly discussion anyway.

I think it probably depends on the individual. A lot of doctors aren't all that informed about H. A lot seem to take it really lightly (at least when they diagnose someone with it). I work with a lot of doctors and have a lot of good friends who are doctors, and while the disclosure talk might go differently (e.g., they probably know some of the general information and be more aware of its prevalence), I think the ultimate decision to take the risk will depend on the individual to whom you are disclosing and the type of relationship the two of you have.

So, basically, I think it will be mostly like having the talk with anyone else.

I think a lot would have to do with several things:

1) Type of medical professional

2) Their personal "moral code" ... like it or not they are humans too and although they *shouldn't* pass judgement and *should* be well enough informed about the facts, doesn't mean that they WILL behave well at disclosure. And I wouldn't doubt that many slept though the STD section of their classes :p

3) Length of time in practice ... the more people they may experience with H the more understanding they will have of the "reality" of living with it