• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

According to CDC 8 out of 10 are infected with cold sore virus - how accurate is this ?

According to CDC 8 out of 10 are infected with cold sore virus how accurate is this ? I never really heard 80 % of population has herpes type 1 and will be almost 90 % by adult hood . if that's the case why is it not mentioned? why is it not mentioned if its soo common. I rarely see cold sore on anyone. I never heard 80 % population has it before I was infected

You don't "see" it much for several reasons -

80% of those infected don't know they are infected because they don't have OB's, or don't recognize their OB's as being herpes.

There are pretty decent Over-the-counter topical medications like Oragel single Dose that make the OB's go away really quickly.

The numbers were arrived at by testing a large sample group of volunteers/testing participants ...

since my diagnosis of HSV2, i've noticed herpes EVERYWHERE. the waitress the other morning? check. clerk at Target? check. carwash attendant? check. multiple coworkers? check. it is absolutely amazing to me how i never would have noticed before, or just dismissed it as something else. and it blows my mind how many intelligent people have no idea that "cold sore/fever blister" are herpes.

Here is a relatively recent report from NHANES data, compiled by the CDC about prevalence rates of both type 1 and 2. They are surprisingly common. My favorite part is where they talk about it remaining a "common and serious health threat in the United States." Which leads me to wonder why they recommend against routine testing for those requesting an STI screen. Especially because they believe it is a significant contributing factor to the high rate of HIV transmission in general, but specifically in the African American community. Do the people at the CDC even talk to each other? Do they realize that statements like the above makes them look like effing idiots??? Anyway, enough of my semi-regular CDC and STI testing rant. Here's the link. And FYI, this data is updated regularly and available through NHANES.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2010/hsv2pressrelease.html

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm

My favorite part is where they talk about it remaining a "common and serious health threat in the United States." Which leads me to wonder why they recommend against routine testing for those requesting an STI screen.

Just shows you what we are up against .... idiots is an understatement for those in the CDC :(