• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I believe the prevalence of HSV 2 infection is much higher than what we & the CDC thinks

One of the many articles, PDF documents and studies I've read up on, I decided to dig this particular one back up to share w everyone here. In this study, it was found that latwnt HSV 2 was found in 40% of autopsies, w only 5% having a knowledge/display/diagnosis of genital herpes. That leads me to believe, that the numbers have to be greater than 16% of the population. Below is the exert from that study.

Disease Description

In autopsy studies, 40% of sacral dorsal root ganglia contain dormant HSV-2. Only 5% of these individuals had recognized genital herpes infection during life. This disorder is almost always misdiagnosed unless it occurs concomitantly with the initial outbreak of genital herpes. Obtaining a history of recurrent genital herpes outbreaks occurring contemporaneously with the radicular symptoms is very helpful diagnostically. Unfortunately, the patient may be unaware of the infection and the physician may be reluctant to inquire about sexually transmitted disease. Radiculopathy caused by HSV-2 infection typically affects the lumbar or sacral nerve roots and is often recurrent. In addition to radicular pain, paresthesias, urinary retention, constipation, anogenital discomfort, and leg weakness may be observed. Although there are few descriptions of HSV-2 radiculitis and radiculomyelitis,15- 17nerve root or lower spinal cord edema, enlargement, and hyperintensity on T2-weighted MRI and contrast enhancement are anticipated; however, the lumbosacral MRI may show normal findings.16The disorder is typically self-limited, resolving after days or weeks, but recovery appears to be hastened by the use of antiviral medications.1

• 1 year later...

It's not that the CDC has it wrong, it's that they present their HSV2 statistics as prevalence among 14-49 year olds, many (29%) of whom have not yet had sex. Infection rates increase with age and sexual contact. It is not that 16% of 14 years olds are infected and 16% of 49 year olds are infected. The 16% is an average for that entire group. The rate among 14 year olds is close to zero and the rate among 49 year olds is much higher than 16%. An average of all autopsies would reflect lifetime risk rather than the average infection rate among 14-49 year olds. Lifetime risk is bound to be much higher.