• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

hsv 2 and the military?

I had to get a letter from my doctor and my recruiter is sending it up to meps or something. I asked what happens after he sends it and he just said "They will either approve or disapprove to physical." That brought tears to my eyes to think they might disqualify me for something that doesnt affect me seriously. And now Im just worrying a lot. Has anyone been approved or disaproved for this?

@lostgirlx

We have this come up all the time. Unless your herpes keeps you from performing your duties, you are unlikely to be rejected for Herpes. If you were, our Military (AND the Military Budget!!!) would be a LOT smaller :)

Plenty of discussion around this in these two links :)

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2757/herpes-diagnosisherpes-and-the-coast-guard

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/comment/33052/#Comment_33052

Just in preparation for this, make sure you get a note from your doctor stating that your condition has shown to be manageable and responds well to treatment and poses no risk in preventing you from full participation in training. Personally, I'd sent that in w the waiver. I'm not sure what branch @firsttimefrustrated was in, but you get discharged for being flat foot, because people are unable to run like they need to and go on long ruck marches, so not sure how half a foot was able to get in, but I don't think herpes will be an issue. Right now recruitment for the army is at a big low and they're trying to find ways to get people to enlist. Whenever they have low recruitment numbers, they tend to waive things a lot more, so don't worry yourself too much.

• 2 weeks later...

@firsttimefrustrated

Air force and army are very different w their requirements physically. You guys do not do physical training like the army does and it won't be an issue for you guys. People w flat feet cannot handle ruck marching and a lot can't finish the ruck March w heavy weights in the time you have to complete it in and makes you more prone to stress fractures. If someone can stay up w their PT standards and other standards w no issue, they usually will let them be, but if they keep getting on profile for it, I've watched them medically discharge them. AF is most difficult to get into regarding tests scores, you guys do not have the same PT standards. I came down from bragg after I left the army to MacDill to work on base and it was a joke to see airforce PT. Pretry much, it doesn't exist. At Fort bragg, they shut most streets down, you hear cadence calling all over the base for hrs... AF was amusing to watch for me to say the least, especially after coming from home of airborne, special forces, rangers, 82nd, etcetc.

@2legit2quit I Ruck marched all the time and did physical training at the very least equal to the army. Just because we have the stigma of chair force doesn't mean we don't have "MOS's" that aren't physical. I did all of that with a guaranteed slot before I left meps and flat feet (insert waiver here). It's historically way easier to enter into the army with any waiver as well. This why you saw tons of large men at meps using hemhroid cream and Saran Wrap or neck tattoos.

There are a couple MOSs that do do that in the AF, but it is not common or on the overage. It is more the exception than the rule. I've not idea what you're referring to w hemorrhoid cream . lol.

When the army a couple years ago was cutting people out,because they were cutting down forces and gov jobs, you couldn't even get in w a GED w a waiver, that ban has since been lifted

I have just pulled this from the army site of disqualifers. The medical term for flat feet is

pes planus and is a disqualifer for the Army. Herpes is not, as long as it can be controlled @firsttimefrustrated see number 5. That is why they get discharged if it was missed and have issues w it in.

Lower extremities

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

a. Limitation of motion. An individual will be considered unacceptable if the joint ranges of motion are less that the measurements listed below.

(1) Hip (due to disease, injury):

(a) Flexion to 90 degrees.

(b) No demonstrable flexion contracture.

© Extension to 10 degrees (beyond 0 degrees).

(d) Abduction to 45 degrees.

(e) Rotation of 60 degrees (internal and external combined).

(2) Knee (due to disease, injury):

(a) Full extension compared with contralateral.

(b) Flexion to 90 degrees.

(3) Ankle (due to disease, injury):

(a) Dorsiflexion to 10 degrees.

(b) Planter flexion to 30 degrees.

(4) Subtalar (due to disease or injury): eversion and inversion (total to 5 degrees).

b. Foot and ankle.

(1) Absences of one or more small toes if function of the foot is poor or running or jumping is prevented; absence of a foot or any portion thereof except for toes.

(2) Absence of great toe(s); loss of dorsal/plantar flexion if function of the foot is impaired.

(3) Deformities of the toes, either acquired or congenital, including polydactyly, that prevent wearing military footwear or impair walking, marching, running, or jumping. This inchallux valgus.

(4) Clubfoot or Pes Cavus, if stiffness or deformity prevents foot function or wearing military footwear.

(5) Symptomatic pes planus, acquired or congenital or pronounced cases, with absence of subtalar motion.

• 1 month later...

Well don't worry, you likely won't be doing any shaving down there in basic training... Hahaha. You just have no time for anything. I heard it's not as harsh as it was when I want, so you may get lucky. Please keep in touch and let me know how it all goes. Have you decided a MOS you want yet?

Hahah ya I'm prepared no shaving no plucking eyebrows.. I will :) And I have ideas I want but some I don't qualify for or may not be open, so I will have to find that out at meps when I should be going either next week or the week after that. I apologize if you said this before but are you currently in? What is your mos?

No, I've been out since 2006. Did 6yrs. I was in the signal corp... 25B... Information systems operator analysts... You want to pick something like that or medical or intelligence, so you can get a good job outside the military, even if that means gov civilian or gov contractor. I did gov contracting for almost 6yrs after I got out and now am in commercial, but I used it to move up the ladder and then dipped put when I knew I could make a lot more in commercial. Getting a MOS or at least selecting a first duty assignment that requires a top secret clearance is ideal.. That helps w a job after when you get out.