• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Viral shedding from thick skin areas?

I know that it is more difficult to get herpes in thick skinned areas. Usually takes a cut or a scrape that opens the skin that allows easy access to the virus. Not sure what the shedding rate in those areas would be. I would assume it would be similar to shedding rates were outbreaks are most common.

Yeah, this has got my curiosity up. I've had outbreaks on my abdomen and wonder if shedding can occur there. I actually read this at the westover heights clinic website. Not sure how accurate their info is so anyone can jump in maybe @Adrial can elaborate.

It's unlikely you will get it from a thick skinned area unless you have an active lesion there. Pubic hair area is another matter - again, *less* likely but a lot of people get the virus there after shaving so they are likely to have small OB's there that look like ingrown hairs so while it's less likely you will shed there, if the person doesn't know they have H they could assume they have a shaving rash or whatever and not know they are shedding

Ok....yes, my OB's are often in pubic hair area. So, I assume I could shed there?? It's an interesting subject to me as I've never passed this to my husband of 20 years, but most of my OB's are either in pubic area or on abdomen. I'm on anti viral now so maybe no more ob's. I normally only have about 5 per year. Hoping for none now. I've had this over 30 years so hoping shedding is minimal. We always use a condom

I can't really say what the rate of shedding would be in the pubic area... probably much less than the vaginal area - I'd just be cautious about shaving if that tends to set your H off... that seems to trigger some people into having an OB. But if you haven't passed it to him in 20 yrs, sounds like you are fine -

So why are you going on antivirals now given that it sounds like you mostly have it under control and haven't passed it on?

Well, only because I still have about 5 or 6 ob's per year. I know that's not a lot, but I'm hoping to have none this way. More or less an experiment. As I mentioned, some of my ob's are on my abs (weird), and it's bathing suit time! I also, work out 6 days per week....weight training and eat very low fat diet. Not sure if all this helps, but prob doesn't hurt. They say you shed from areas of ob....this almost seems like it can't be correct since my ob's are on abs, pubic area and once in s blue, blue moon glutes and I've not passed it on. Thanks so much for responding every little bit helps