• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Early Symptoms and HSV1 g-to-g Transmission

Hi there, 

Long story short, I’ve had HSV1 for what I believe to be about ten years now. However, I only found out my official diagnosis (igg blood test) recently, after having strange nerve pains in my groin area. It’s a very complicated story, but I had what I believe to be a (traumatic) genital outbreak when I was merely 16 - and being young, naive, and ashamed, never got it diagnosed. I know, not good. Since no other outbreak has occurred, it was kind of forgotten / suppressed after some time. Nothing was there to remind me of it or the what-ifs.

Flash forward into a long term relationship with a great man, and I get confirmation I’m HSV1 positive. It’s safe to say I probably have it both genitally and orally, though I’m not 100% (my mom says I’ve had cold sores in the past).

I’ve had this nerve pain all throughout my bum and lady parts for about a month now, which is why I got tested to begin with. Shocks. Sharp pains. Dull aches. Pinching and pricking. A week after it first started, I had a visual exam with my OBGYN, who did not find any lesions. I’ve been checking myself everyday since - nothing. But this shocking, pricking, pinching, and dull aching pain is still there (off and on). I’m on my 12th day of Valtrex and it hasn’t subsided.

The reason I’m on Valtrex is because my SO is negative for h1 and h2. He got tested around the same time as me, same test. I was finally feeling normal for a couple days and after a month of abstinence, we decided to have sex. We used a condom. I did not have any visible sores, though I understand now there’s a chance they could be internal.

Almost two days later, he has what I believe to be “flu like symptoms”- sore throat, coughing, no appetite, feverish, just an overall off feeling. He says it’s post nasal drip. He also has anxiety (bless us both) and thinks he’s starting to develop tingling down there. It’s been exactly 3 days now since intercourse.

I guess I have a couple questions:
1. Would he develop flu like symptoms like this, including the post nasal drip, that soon after sex? I’d say they developed in 36-48 hours. What do flu like symptoms even mean in the cases of genital herpes? Do they come before the blisters do?

2. I understand that Genital to Genital transmission of HSV1 (especially female to male) is extremely rare. We used a condom, but should I still have reason to worry? I’ve had ghsv1 for ten years now with no outward OBs - isn’t there even less of a risk? Are there any males here who got gHsv1 from intercourse (not oral)?

3. I had been on Valtrex for ten days by the time we had intercourse. Again, no lesions. Wouldn’t this have protected us? Wouldn’t it protect me from getting an OB? Or would it simply prevent an OB from fully surfacing (under my skin feelings make me feel like I’m contagious)?

My doctor chocks up my symptoms of nerve sensations to anxiety, again and again, but I’m not convinced. Is it possible that with a condom, ten days of Valtrex, and no visible sores, that I passed this along?

Finally, would a condom help if I did have an internal outbreak after all?

I understand that hsv1 sucks, but that it’s not harmful or affecting my quality of life in any way. However, I worry for my boyfriend who is scared more than ever. He’s accepted the risk, yes, but I’m not sure how he’ll handle the actual reality of it. I don’t know how I’d handle it either.

Thanks for listening- and for your input. Turned out to be pretty long after all!

Well your boyfriend has already accepted the risks and he is aware of the possibility so that is a good thing. You are right that the transmission rates are lower but I don't think it could be said that it is impossible. However I would say that herpes will usually not have post nasal drip because it is not characteristic of it. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just a thought, BUT the only time i ever had the pinching and prickling shocks that you describe is when I decided to try acyclovir for an outbreak. I have GHSV1 also (i have had more than one outbreak but very minor and not really frequent.). I realised that those sensations were side effects of the meds. Apparently if you want to be on them long term you should start by building up the dose slowly so your body gets used to it, but to be honest, for me, the side effects from the drugs were worse than any outbreak I've ever had (ok maybe not the primary). It took about 2 weeks after I came off the acylovir for all those sensations to settle down!