• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How common after age 50?

I have been reading so many stats on the internet about how common this virus is from ages 14-49. It’s much more common than I ever would of guessed. I can’t find info on how common it is on people after age 50. I just keep reading that it increases with age. I was diagnosed with both HSV 1&2 in Sept after briefly dating someone and he didn’t disclose it to me. Now, I’m scared of dating after reading the stats that there a 3x higher chance that I can now get HIV. I’m considering being alone for a really long time out of fear of rejection and a fear that the next person can give me something worse. Any advice or info on how many of us actually have this virus after age 50? 

28 minutes ago, Findingmyself said:

I have been reading so many stats on the internet about how common this virus is from ages 14-49. It’s much more common than I ever would of guessed. I can’t find info on how common it is on people after age 50. I just keep reading that it increases with age. I was diagnosed with both HSV 1&2 in Sept after briefly dating someone and he didn’t disclose it to me. Now, I’m scared of dating after reading the stats that there a 3x higher chance that I can now get HIV. I’m considering being alone for a really long time out of fear of rejection and a fear that the next person can give me something worse. Any advice or info on how many of us actually have this virus after age 50? 

I read that after 50 that 90 percent of that age population has hsv1.  I’m 45 an contracted ghsv1 almost 4 months ago from a partner that did the same to me.. I have struggled hating myself for believing that he would be honest then did this and now I’m left trying to figure out how to move on with this. I feel the same, dating seems so scary anymore, definitely don’t want to get anything else this was hardest thing I ever had to deal with and mostly alone.

• Like 1

Hi

I am 51 & in theory if 90% of people after age of 50 have HSV-1, then it should be easy enough to date people around your own age but sadly it doesn't work like that, the big problem is, that most of the 90% don't know they have it.

Life is too short, to be scared about every action you take,
I get in a car each day but I have an 1.8% chance of dying in a crash.

Don't give up, stay strong 😉

• Like 1

I’m turning 41 in December and I actually considered not dating for. Decade until the stats leveled out to my age group. I actually considered being single for 10 years to avoid the rejection and fear of spreading this, or catching something worse. If I did, I think I’m allowing the best years of my life to slip away. I don’t want to be alone. 

10 years, 5 years, 1 year, 6 months it really does not matter, the best years of your life are every year!

You should not put dating on hold because of Herpes, don't let it win, yes it is a pain having to disclose & it hurts so bad
when you get rejected but when you get accepted, it feels so good.

If you don't want to be alone, you won't be, that is your choice 🙂

• Like 1