• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Positive pcr and neg igg blood work 18 weeks later

Hello. I had a positive pcr for hsv2. About 3 weeks later I started valtrex. I've tested 5 times in total by igg and am negative still. The last test was taken 18 weeks after pcr. I've been told that valtrex does not effect igg test results by numerous doctor's. They said once the body detects any trace of the virus in the system it will start making antibodies. Terri Warren seems to disagree. Has anyone else had this happen before? My doctors are saying that I don't have hsv2. I'm getting one more test done at 24 weeks to see if the results have changed. The test I took were herpeselect type specific for hsv2... Which I was told is 98 percent correct on negative results AND a test ran through my ob that works at a hospital that run their test through the Mayo clinic. Going to planned Parenthood for last test to see if I can get the bioskit or whatever the other test is. 

Following. I really believe the person who gave me hsv2 had a false negative result. It's just too coincidental that I happened to have my initial outbreak within the week we had sex. I've found too much conflicting information on the internet about the serum test but no one has answered my question.

Well that's the thing he's never had an outbreak so no telling. But I had my first one ever right after having sex with him. He tested twice, both negative for hsv 2. Positive for hsv 1 but that's not relevant I guess. 

I did read that the blood test misses about 8% of hsv 2 infections. 

I haven't had a blood test done yet. I didn't see the point at the time because I was pretty sure his would come back positive. It's been less than a month at this point so I will probably go sometime this week.

I did find this article discussing positive swabs and negative blood tests. Seems pretty common actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/sex-dating/nation/my-std-testing-gone-wrong-signs-symptoms-of-genital-herpes

Have you ever had an igg test done before? You could of had it prior to him if not. I was tested for it with every prior STD test so that's how I knew I was negative before. In your case I would say it's pretty possible that you have it. My case is a little complicated bc I had ulcers prior to this that was caused from an auto immune disorder. So ulcers are not unusual for me. That's why it's not certain if I have it for sure or not. I talked to the University of Washington today. The lady said even though their test is more accurate than the rest... No test is ever 100 percent. I am going to get it done here soon. I just went for another igg on Monday. Waiting on those results. 

I don't think I've ever had an igg test before as they are apparently not offered in a standard STD panel. Which may be good for the general public to know. I never had a blister until about 3 days after I had sex with my most recent partner which was when I went and had them swab. Apparently he never had one either because he didn't know he had hsv 1 or even what it was. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:57 PM, Ihavequestions said:

Hello. I had a positive pcr for hsv2. About 3 weeks later I started valtrex. I've tested 5 times in total by igg and am negative still. The last test was taken 18 weeks after pcr. I've been told that valtrex does not effect igg test results by numerous doctor's. They said once the body detects any trace of the virus in the system it will start making antibodies. Terri Warren seems to disagree. Has anyone else had this happen before? My doctors are saying that I don't have hsv2. I'm getting one more test done at 24 weeks to see if the results have changed. The test I took were herpeselect type specific for hsv2... Which I was told is 98 percent correct on negative results AND a test ran through my ob that works at a hospital that run their test through the Mayo clinic. Going to planned Parenthood for last test to see if I can get the bioskit or whatever the other test is. 

What did you have swabbed? Was it a lesion? 

I keep testing negative through blood, but I never have anything to swab.

2 hours ago, Ihavequestions said:

It was a pcr, so yes a swab. And soars are not unusual for me bc I have an auto immune disorder that causes them, but that is what they swabbed. Have you had a positive swab before also then negative blood work later also? 

Is it possible that your auto immune disorder is affecting your body's ability to build antibodies? The swab tests for the actual virus whereas blood tests test for antibodies. That's why I have always read that the swab is more accurate.

I am definitely no medical expert but I do know it is possible for antibodies to disappear. I had to be completely revaccinated as an adult when I joined the military because they tested my blood and I had no antibodies against anything. I'm not sure how common this is in general or specific to the HSV virus.

3 hours ago, Ihavequestions said:

It was a pcr, so yes a swab. And soars are not unusual for me bc I have an auto immune disorder that causes them, but that is what they swabbed. Have you had a positive swab before also then negative blood work later also? 

The small cuts I have on my penis and mouth have been swabbed, but it come back negative. Maybe I don't get it swabbed in time.

Back when I had unusual pimples and bumps on my groin, I never thought to get it swabbed. . . 

Studies have shown that individuals who have tested positive for herpes by swab, will test negative by blood test.  The blood test is not as accurate as they want you to believe.  I’ve read some studies that say a chance of a false negative by IGG blood test can be as high as 30%.  Even if you are truly positive for herpes, you may never show it on a blood test.

In my opinion, this is one of driving factors if not THE number one reason why they don’t include it in a  routine STD panel.  The test is so poor by modern standards, the confusion it would cause would cause more damage than good.

There is no way in hell a lifelone virus blood test should have an accuracy of only 70%.  That’s ridiculous.  And before my situation happened I would have never believed it.  But I’m starting to fear that it’s true, and that doctors are very misinformed about these tests.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, UnluckyMan said:

Studies have shown that individuals who have tested positive for herpes by swab, will test negative by blood test.  The blood test is not as accurate as they want you to believe.  I’ve read some studies that say a chance of a false negative by IGG blood test can be as high as 30%.  Even if you are truly positive for herpes, you may never show it on a blood test.

In my opinion, this is one of driving factors if not THE number one reason why they don’t include it in a  routine STD panel.  The test is so poor by modern standards, the confusion it would cause would cause more damage than good.

There is no way in hell a lifelone virus blood test should have an accuracy of only 70%.  That’s ridiculous.  And before my situation happened I would have never believed it.  But I’m starting to fear that it’s true, and that doctors are very misinformed about these tests.

Where are these studies found?

Well my auto immune disorder causes my body to be over active, not under active. My meds could cause me to take longer to develope antibodies but I didn't start those back up till after 12 weeks from the positive swab. And they have never effected my test results for my hsv1. I've always came back positive for that.

5 hours ago, UnluckyMan said:

Yes I keep seeing a bunch of different studies with different numbers as well and it's hard to tell which ones are from legitimate sources. It doesn't make sense that if the test were so accurate they wouldn't just include it in a routine STD panel.

It also doesn't make sense that hsv1 is less likely than hsv2 to show a false negative since literally almost everyone has it.

• Like 1

I am in the United States. Ok so I talked to a virologist today. She said with 8 antibody test, 2 igm and 6 igg that it's not likely that all 8 missed the infection. She also said the valtrex would not of effected the test results if I already had a soar. She suspects that the pcr showed hsv2 and should of instead showed hsv1 instead. So she thinks I have hsv1 instead. All my doctor's, my ob, my reg doctor, my nurse at work, and a nurse practioner at planned Parenthood,is and 2 ob off of maven all think the pcr was a false positive and I'm negative for genital hsv and my soars are my normal soars from my auto immune disorder. I think they came to that conclusion bc my body makes antibodies for hsv1 so there is no reason for it to not make antibodies for hsv2. This is such a mess trying to figure out. I've talked to over 20 doctor's and 2 virologist about it.

• 5 weeks later...