• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppressive herpes medication and herpes outbreaks

Emma13

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it is possible to still have herpes outbreaks while taking the suppressive medication every day. I am taking valacyclovir once a day now (I was taking it twice a day) and I have two spots on my bottom and am paranoid now and was wondering if it was herpes or just a little skin infection/pimple. Can you have outbreaks while taking the meds? I am not with anyone at the moment so there is no danger of it spreading if it is herpes but I just need to learn some of the more science behind it and get to know my body better. Thanks!

Heya Emma! Yes, you can still have herpes outbreaks while on suppressive medication. It just generally has the effect of lessening the amount of herpes outbreaks you'll have and also lessens the amount of asymptomatic viral shedding that will be happening. That's why if you are taking suppressive therapy, it lessens the chances of spreading herpes by 48% as opposed to 100%. Check out these handout and blog articles for more info on all this stuff:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

http://herpeslife.com/what-is-herpes-asymptomatic-viral-shedding/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-medication/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-treatment/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Oh ok I see. Well I am still new to all this, 5 months, and I'll keep working with it. Lowering stress levels is the hardest part--herpes just exacerbates it! Is there a difference between the herpes suppressive meds or are they mostly the same?

Thanks guys

Mainly the difference between the more expensive ones (Valtrex) and the less expensive (Acyclovir, for example) is that it's more time-released so you only have to take less of it in order to accomplish the same thing. I take Acyclovir, but not suppressive, only episodically. Except for when I am in a relationship with a woman who doesn't have herpes, then I take it daily for suppressive purposes.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hi,

i tried to fight herpes over one and a half year without suppresiv medication but i constanly got 1 outbreak per month(sometimes 2) short before my period.I take now valtrex daily since 2 month and i dont got any outbreaks and i have so much less symtoms.The thing is there are people who are eat healthy , do sport and all that stuff but they still get constantly outbreaks.I am not sure why it is that way but yes i am sure i will get outbreaks with this medication too but at least i give me some time to breath and i dont have every day this itchy burning feeling.I need to say i tried Acyclovir before but it dont saw any affect on my herpes.Doctor say that there is no diffrence between this medication but i could see that there is one....not sure why.

I got diagnosed on May 2012, got put on Acyclovir after my second outbreak in late July 2012 and I've since not had an outbreak. I've had a scare in November but I didn't have sex for about two weeks to be sure it wasn't an outbreak and nothing developed. I still get a dull pain down there every once in a blue moon but it's pretty rare. I got my medicine from Planned Parenthood!

I constantly have tingling or itching, it does not go away and have an outbreak once a month or every two months. I am on no medication. I have had HSV2 for 6 yrs now. I have lots of stress in my life my husband died last year and it has not been easy. If I get on some meds can someone tell me if it will help ease the condition.

thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Casper. I can't imagine losing someone so close.

Taking herpes medication does for the most part ease both viral shedding and therefore full on herpes outbreaks by about half, so if you are getting enough outbreaks that its intruding on your life, consider suppressive therapy. And also consider ways you can naturally suppress your stress levels. The human body can't handle elevated levels of stress for extended periods of time. Consider that you getting outbreaks might be your body's way of asking you to take a break. I know it's sometimes easier to suggest than to do, but this is your LIFE. You get to live it the healthiest way possible for you. I want you to take care of yourself. You deserve it.

Helpful resources: