• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

A cure for herpes, maybe one day.

I was watch a youtube video about herpes and this male named Ian Frazer has been working on a vaccine to eliminate the viruses reproduction cycle. He explained about the little receptors that plug into outrwhite cells and genetically mutate the cells, they are hoping that it blocks the viruses receptors or something along those lines so that they can not mutates the cells. To me herpes is more like a parasites annoying its host, but only if it was that easy (because there are treatments to get rid of parasites). I just think that it's cool that our technology is coming so far and advancing so fast that there is hope for cure. I just hope one day I can say i USED to have herpes.

As you can imagine, the whole herpes cure conversation is one that comes up often here. It's important that while there is hope for a cure (which is the same hope that there was a decade ago when I was first diagnosed with herpes, by the way), the real "cure" for shame is realizing you're whole and lovable for who you are, whether you have herpes or not.

It's super important to not let the hope for a cure put your life on hold until it comes. That's the only worry that shows up for me when these conversations come up on these boards. Hope seems positive at face value, but it can be insidious if it causes us to just stay single and hiding, patiently waiting for something outside of us to somehow "save" us from our own thoughts about ourselves. A cure for herpes (if it ever does come) would only cure the virus. The shame that can come from having herpes isn't directly from the herpes itself, I promise you; it's shame we have always carried about ourselves and our sexuality. Shame is a symptom of having herpes and herpes itself isn't at the root of it, although at first blush it may seem that way.

I'm not saying that's what you're doing specifically, ShawnaA, just that I feel protective over people's hearts who feel they need to wait for a cure to come before they feel okay about themselves and lovable. I'm a huge stand for being lovable NOW. :)

Here are some blogs and other forum conversations on this topic to explore:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-cure/

http://herpeslife.com/the-key-to-being-happy-with-herpes-give-up-hope/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1818/test-for-herpes-viral-shedding-herpes-cure-vaccine-medical-advances/p1

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2277/herpes-treatment-options/p1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I agree with Adrial. I've had Herpes for 35 years (Or 50 years if you include my Oral Herpes) and I can remember more "promises" and hopes for a cure than I can count on both hands. When HIV came along we became the poor redheaded cousin and got shoved aside for many years. The one "good" thing about that is that because of the seriousness of HIV, a lot of good has come out as far as drugs and methods for coming up with vaccines and cures.

But if I had held on to a hope for a cure to feel "lovable", I would be a dyed in the wool spinster by now. I learned long ago to live with this "parasite" as you call it (and, to some degree, this virus *is* a parasite in that it is always looking for new host), and to love ME first and foremost.

Yes, I hope there is a cure some day, so that people don't have to go through what so many do on here.. BUT, having Herpes can be a powerful experience for those who are willing to stop and look at how their mind can suddenly get triggered into believing that they are unlovable (likely a shame that has been there all along in many) by a nuisance skin condition, AND to then work on loving themselves and becoming powerful, strong people.... which results in them suddenly attracting the kind of partner to them that they've been searching for all along. And THAT is a beautiful thing to be present to ....

Peace

I used to obsess over a cure for a little bit, just fantasize.

Anymore, I believe that before we ever have a real cure or if we even do, it will become one of those imminent things like HPV is and it is one of those things you just have.

Like Adrial and Dancer said, for anyone who is finding themselves obsessed with the cure idea, it could be that they haven't found that acceptance yet. Given enough time, that becomes background. You always know you have it but its just a part of you at that point.

I have a feeling though, that you and I are similar in that we just find science cool, and the idea of a new vaccine development is interesting. Or is that just me? :o