• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

A thank you ramble and side effects

I was diagnosed one month ago and i'm not going to lie, it hasn't been fun. My first OB had me completely bed ridden for a week and it bought up a lot of emotions that I though I had dealt with in the past. It has been a long month.

One of the best things I did was find this forum. I work in mental health so I thought I understood stigma and how it effects people, but now I can say I REALLY get it and how isolated you can feel and it honestly makes me angry at how easily society can construct these negatives views due to simply un-education or fear. This forum has been a god send, and although at times it scared me thinking about all the things i'm going to need to go through in the future (I.e disclosure). So i just really want to say a big THANK YOU to all the positive helpful people who have posted on here :)

Your forum helped me realise that this is only a big issue if i make it one and that it does not at all change me or who I am as a person. I have been open with most of my friends and I am very lucky that I have some amazing people around me. Im not going to lie but I am terrified of disclosing in the future and how it will effect my relationships but I feel like I am starting to believe the idea that if the person wants to be with you it won't be an issue. Even though the thought of passing it on makes me feel sick (Probably the side effect of a bad first OB).

Speaking of side effects I have woken up in the morning feeling very nauseous a couple of times, I nearly had to pull over driving the other day, but it has gone away after about 30 minutes. I have taken a pregnancy test and Its not that (Thank god!), I was just wondering if this could possibly be a side effect of Valtrex? Or is it more likely to be from stress? Has anyone experienced this...

Once again, thanks for this awesome, awesome forum, it has been a life saver.

@lost250

Hello and welcome!

Yes, nausea is a side effect of Valtrex... you may want to see about switching to Acyclovir ... you have to take it twice a day but spreading it out may help your body cope with it better. Talk to your Dr and see what he/she says about that.

About disclosure, I wrote a blog about it last week ... so this may help you look at it in a bit more of a "positive" light ;)

http://supporttruthanddialog.com/disclosure-its-not-just-about-herpes/

(((HUGS)))

Well, I had nausea for the first little while and then once my body got used to the medication I didn't as much anymore.

I still get sleepiness from time to time from it, but overall over time, your body should get better.

If you haven't already, try taking meds on a full stomach; that may help. I tend to take mine at lunch and then right before bed (I am a night owl, so I go to bed late) and I find nausea is much less now. Mornings are brutal for me and any medications or vitamins.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

I used to feel nausea all the time and constantly needed a nap, been on valtrex for almost 2 months now and my body seems to be dealing with the meds alot better now.

and @whitedaisies is right with food. Eat then pill.

i take it in the morning just cuz i know ill forget later.

Hi! Stress makes me extremely nauseous, so that may be a huge part of it. I don't take suppressive therapy daily but I do take acyclovir when I suspect an ob coming on and have never experienced any side effects. If you're not in a relationship with some h- I would consider not taking suppressive at all and letting your body naturally build some immunity. I did that and a year later I can't remember my last visible outbreak only tingly sensations every few months (usually when I'm stressed!) try to stay calm it really think that's the most important part of dealing with the virus :)

I'll my eye on when I take it, but I think I feel the worst when I take them on an empty stomach. So I'll avoid that and see if that helps. I think i'll stay on the suppressive therapy for a bit because i'm still feeling some tingling and I'm going travelling soon, and the last thing I want is an outbreak. I've been getting back into yoga and that has really been helping me bring the stress levels down which I know is the most important thing.

Thanks for your help guys

:D