• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpetic Whitlow with HSV2 Diagnosis/Concerns

Recently have been fighting a finger infection that I thought was Herpetic Whitlow which started on 9/23. Dr. didn't think so. He prescribed antibiotics. They did not seem to cure the finger.

Fast forward to today and the finger is much better now. The other day I woke up with a small blister on the same finger. Had the Dr. uncover it and had it cultured for Herpes. Test came back for HSV-2!!!! Currently taking 5 days of acyclovir.

I have never been diagnosed with genital herpes, nor had any genital herpes symtoms. I did, however, "finger" my new partner right before this infection started. She never disclosed to me that she had a herpes infection. We have also had unprotected sex. I am trying to figure out what I should be concerned with in regard to future partners. Should i be concerned that I also have genital region herpes or is my infection localized to my finger only? I have had zero symptoms in the genital region unlike on my finger which were severe. I am about 30 days post first sexual contact.

Please advise. Thank you

@Snyperx

Well, I would get a blood test ... if that comes up H+ you probably already have it genitally. If not, and you have no symptoms elsewhere, it's quite possible you managed to just get it there. It's not totally unusual to get it on the finger because you likely had a hangnail/crack there and it took the opportunity to take up residence there. However, after a few OB's it should settle down there.

Now, whether you have ti genitally will just plain be unknown unless you have an OB down there. Be really careful about touching yourself down there until the finger heals.

You may want to check with the people at Westover Heights for more advice though - they have Dr's there who specialize in Herpes ... their fee is $5/minute ... but you will get the best advice there is about how to handle it with future partners.

Dr. Lisa Taulbee at the Westover Heights Clinic,http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678

WCSDancer2010,

Thank you for the response. I had already had a PCR test done on the blister which was in fact positive for HSV-2. Wouldn't the blood test just show whether my body is producing HSV-2 antibodies or not? I would expect that it is with the finger diagnosis being positive.

@Snyperx , I had the same as you with my finger.. the genital symptoms appeared about a week later I would say (whilst the finger was mid-healing process).

I guess there's no way to identify which specific regions are infected without an OB, so just be cautious and keep an eye out for redness, tingling or burning.

Curious to know how your hand responds though... I've not had any blisters yet, but some strange tingles and occasional pains in my wrist.

@Sil88,

Finger is pretty much all healed. >30 days out and still no genital symptoms. Have been in constant talk with my Dr. and he is still stating I have a localized HSV-2 infection (confirmed with blister culture). In my previous posts I had severe symptoms in my finger and no additional symptoms anywhere else. So it would seem that my finger was first time infection which my Dr. stated is almost never asymptomatic.

• 3 months later...
@Sil88,

Finger is pretty much all healed. >30 days out and still no genital symptoms. Have been in constant talk with my Dr. and he is still stating I have a localized HSV-2 infection (confirmed with blister culture). In my previous posts I had severe symptoms in my finger and no additional symptoms anywhere else. So it would seem that my finger was first time infection which my Dr. stated is almost never asymptomatic.

How did you contract whitlow? Did you have a cut on your finger at the time? Was your partner having an outbreak?

I did not have a cut, but a damaged cuticle form clipping my nails. As for my partner having an outbreak I don't know. As far as I know to this point she didn't even know she was H+. I suppose I may not have even contracted it from her, but the timeline matches almost perfectly as well as the severity of the whitlow which would be common in a first time exposure. My whitlow was wickedly painful with massive swelling, redness, tenderness, and clear/yellowish drainage.

Well if you are going to get it in one place, the finger is actually a "good" place in the long run ... it should settle down and rarely give you an issue and you can always use finger cots for sex play :)

And you will have the antibodies as well so you will have at least *some* protection from getting it genitally now ;)

• 1 year later...

Figured I would jump back on here and give an update post 1 year. So After a year and a couple of months I finally had a second outbreak on my middle finger. It was WAY more mild compared to my initial infection. Second infection had "sores/blisters", but they never ruptured. They stayed intact and under the skin. It also cleared up much faster. I am not on any suppression therapy. I kept it covered and that was it. I still have not experienced any symptoms or outbreaks in the genital area. Pretty thankful over all for what could of been a much worse issue for me. A big thanks to all the folks on this wonderful website for helping me through my situation!!

Ok i am learning....and confused now

So hsv1 and 2 can be transmitted to another person, and not necessarily genital, but to a finger or hand? I remember discussing this back when I was first diagnosed....so even though the person is showing signs on just a finger, they can have a positive blood test for h 1 or 2 ?? Even though contact was never made genitally?(for 2)

Ok i am learning....and confused now

So hsv1 and 2 can be transmitted to another person, and not necessarily genital, but to a finger or hand? I remember discussing this back when I was first diagnosed....so even though the person is showing signs on just a finger, they can have a positive blood test for h 1 or 2 ?? Even though contact was never made genitally?(for 2)

Yes, from my understanding that is correct. I know for a fact I got herpetic whitlow from a damaged cuticle on my finger and then coming into contact with HSV 2.

Yes, that's correct. Those blood tests are testing for a specific antibody your body produces in response to H. So regardless of where you have your outbreaks, or where it was transmitted to you (oral, fingers, genital, etc) you will have a positive results based on which virus strain you picked up, not where it's located. (Which is why we guess where the outbreaks probably are due to what's more common for asymptomatic carriers. We can't know for sure until/unless an outbreak happens).

• 3 years later...
On 6/9/2016 at 11:22 AM, Snyperx said:

Figured I would jump back on here and give an update post 1 year. So After a year and a couple of months I finally had a second outbreak on my middle finger. It was WAY more mild compared to my initial infection. Second infection had "sores/blisters", but they never ruptured. They stayed intact and under the skin. It also cleared up much faster. I am not on any suppression therapy. I kept it covered and that was it. I still have not experienced any symptoms or outbreaks in the genital area. Pretty thankful over all for what could of been a much worse issue for me. A big thanks to all the folks on this wonderful website for helping me through my situation!!

On 6/9/2016 at 11:22 AM, Snyperx said:

Hi Snyperx, Thank you so much for your initial posts and this update post which is giving me some hope. Your story, so far, is identical to mine. Just got a positive HSV diagnosis from a herpetic whitlow on my left middle finger. So far no genital symptoms, am I honestly terrified of that happening. Can you give another update as to how things are going for you all these years later? I am praying this never comes back but the dermatologist said it would come back often and that has me almost paralyzed with fear. I'm still coming to terms with this and has been on my mind constantly. The primary doctor said that I'm not contagious when there is no OB present and didn't seem too concerned about it saying that children and healthcare workers get this and she was perplexed as to why I was so upset. I would really love to hear how you are doing after all these years and looking for some hope. Thank you!