• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Does working out cause herpes outbreaks?

that has never had any affect on me. I work out 4 times a week and it's never caused an outbreak. I say go for it, just ease into it. Putting your body under too much stress at first may be a bad idea, so gradually build up to where you want to be.

For those who are newly infected, working out *can* cause OB"s - if your clothing or skin causes rubbing, if you sweat a lot, etc, it can irritate the area and cause an OB ... one of the tricks is to shower immediately when you are done and use a blow drier on low to make sure the skin is dry and wear loose clothing ...

Here's 2 discussions on exercise :)

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/3794

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/comment/15163

As a fitness professional and long time herpes carrier..... yes on some level there can be the potential for increased OB's but working out makes you feel better physically and emotionally. Wear loose clothing, eat well and recover. The positives to working out will far out weigh the negatives. Often, the ob's are the same no matter what you do so staying fit should not deter you.

I understand the hesitation. If you love to work out and it improves your mental health then you should work out. Whether you are newly diagnosed or not, please try to remember that you need to do the things you like to do and the things that make you happy. We can't avoid every action that "may" lead to an OB. If that were the case..... I would never work out, never have sex, never drink etc..... I know it's hard at the start of all of this but my message is the same whether you are new to the virus or not..... continue to do what makes you happy and whole, as time goes on you will realize that the virus only controls you if you let it. At no time in my life would I tell anyone that being active is a BAD thing. It's totally up to you but I support movement :)

I am pretty sure I have been getting obs from pretty intense 30 minute sessions on the treadmill, but nothing from lifting weights. I was diagnosed back in October. Granted, while I was trying the treadmill sessions I was in a quite stressful situation due to my personal life, so that may have played a roll too. I really hope that eventually I will be able to hit the treadmill again at full speed wihout any issues.

H is so annoying that we sometimes can't do things that makes the body and mind feel better, such as working out, and having sex. Not necessarily at the same time though. :)

As for drinks I haven't really had any issues, although I initially stayed away from it too based on what I had read about it potentially causing obs. Just ease into it and drink in moderation, as one should anyways.

I was diagnosed in Jan. I put working out on pause until I felt better which was around Feb. I have been working out 5 days a week for the last 3 weeks with no issues. I usually run about 3 miles and do some circuit training so not an easy workout. I also take suppressive therapy so that may help too.

I haven't altered my workouts since my first ob in August. But it's such a stress reliever for me. I also wasn't running at the time as I was healing from issues with my Achilles. I have started back to running without issue though. I think it's all about balance. Consider the harm and the good. Then go from there.